Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: slow boot on SSD - used windows performance analysis..  (Read 2879 times)

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

slow boot on SSD - used windows performance analysis..
    « on: May 11, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »
    Hello,

I am experiencing a quite long time to boot into Windows 10 on my Samsung SSD and I am frustrated trying to solve the issue as windows takes about 2 ~ 3 mins to log into Windows. I tried many things that did not work such as deleting drivers or software (Nvidia, steam, Samsung magician..etc), stopping services and startup progs, virus check with Malwarebytes but still no solution.

I have another version of Win 10 running on the other OCZ SSD and that version boots right away without any problems. But on the Samsung it just does not.

I have come  across a post here https://superuser.com/questions/594625/how-can-i-analyze-performance-issues-before-during-the-logon-process and tried to figure out what process is taking so long to load and it seems that they are so many! I am not sure if I am reading the analysis correctly or how to proceed on solving the issue since most are system processes . Any help is appreciated.

System specs:

Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2 // Amd FX-8350 black ed // Asus Geforce GTX 1070 Strix OC 8GB // Kingston hyper fury 16G 1866Hz // Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB // OCZ Trion 150 480 GB // Windows 10 Pro version 1709 Build 16299.431

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: slow boot on SSD - used windows performance analysis..
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »
    I'd run crystaldiskinfo on the SSD to see if it has any SMART warnings. Some SSD's slow as they start to fade out to failure and if this was a heavily used drive it could be slowing itself. Other thing to do would be to see if there is a firmware update for the SSD's drive controller. But before running this backup your data to another drive so that if the drive is formatted in the process you don't lose your data.

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:30:56 AM »
      I have ran the test and it seems there are no issues. I am not experiencing problems inside windows actually as programs and games run fine even the games installed on the SSD. The issue is only what Windows is doing before it boots into desktop. I have also checked for firmware update using Samsung magician and it is all up to date.

DaveLembke

Sage

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »
      That is CrystalDiskMark Not CrystalDiskInfo.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:31:49 AM »
        Is Fast Startup enabled?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/speed-windows-10-boot-time

I tried enabling and disabling it with no apparent difference.

That is CrystalDiskMark Not CrystalDiskInfo.

Sorry, I have tried the CrystalDiskInfo and the health status is  "Good Health 100%" and no warnings.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 10:22:20 AM »
        At this point knowing its narrowed down to just that Samsung SSD and other SSD in system is fast, I'd say try a reinstall of OS clean to Samsung SSD that's acting slow and if that doesn't fix it then avoid using that drive as a boot drive and be careful not to use that drive for important data storage if all of a sudden it fails to work completely.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »
        It's not the drives...somethin is hangin/slowin down boot...

All proper drivers installed ? ?...check device manager.
        Also list all external devices being used.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 03:55:21 AM »
          UPDATE: Applied Windows 10 April's - Build 1803 update and it is booting faster now.

At this point knowing its narrowed down to just that Samsung SSD and other SSD in system is fast, I'd say try a reinstall of OS clean to Samsung SSD that's acting slow and if that doesn't fix it then avoid using that drive as a boot drive and be careful not to use that drive for important data storage if all of a sudden it fails to work completely.

I could do that but I was hoping there is a way without reinstalling the OS. I am positive it is not the hard disk itself failing since it is booting somewhat in acceptable time now after the update.

It's not the drives...somethin is hangin/slowin down boot...

All proper drivers installed ? ?...check device manager.
          Also list all external devices being used.

Yes, all drivers installed correctly. How do I list external devices being used?

I do have the other SSD identified as a removable USB drive once I boot into Windows, though this issue has to do with My mobo BIOS as far as I read. In any case, it does not seem to be the root of the problem since it is booting faster now after the update.