Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Having trouble with recovery disk  (Read 8843 times)

zinger

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    Having trouble with recovery disk
    « on: May 21, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »
    I had replaced the hard drive on my computer and am following the instructions but after getting the computer to boot up to the flash drive, it gets a bit muddled after that. Instead of using the flash drive to boot up and re-install windows, it gives me about 4 choices of what to do. The procedure says to chose the boot drive but it lists several other choices, recovery device being one. It's amazing that procedures from Microsoft are so vague or are inaccurate or not specific enough to walk you through it. I've also considered the last factor that might be screwing it up... ME! I could use some help from anyone that's done this. I am doing this for a Windows 8, 32 bit

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Having trouble with recovery disk
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 01:41:47 PM »
    it gives me about 4 choices of what to do.
    I'm guessing this is something like "Continue", "Use a Device", "Troubleshoot" or "Use another operating system"?

And you chose the second option, I assume?

The procedure says to chose the boot drive but it lists several other choices, recovery device being one.
    Let's say you have an Ace of Spades, a Queen of Clubs, and a Jack of Hearts. Now, a procedure says to "choose the ace of spades".

I assume those instructions are reasonably clear. How is it relevant? well, what you are saying is sort of like saying in that situation that "the procedure says to choose the ace of spades, but there are several other choices, the Jack of Hearts being one". The instructions, after all, specifically tell you to choose the boot drive (the device you want to install to) because there are likely to be multiple options.

(I assume when you say that it lists other choices you mean the boot drive/HDD you installed is listed appropriately)
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

zinger

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
      OK, let me myself be a little more clear. After starting the computer and clicking esc to get it to open to the flash drive, it offers the following:
      Continue startup
      system information
      choose language
      ---------------------
      Diagnostics
      boot menu
      system recovery
      network boot
      utilities
      run vefi application

I remember it saying to pick boot menu but maybe I need to pick system recovery because that's what I'm trying to do. Regardless, it gives about 5 options after that and that's where I'm not sure what to choose.

I have to make a correction to my original post, the computer system is a 64 bit, not a 32.
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:15:25 PM by zinger »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:26:41 PM »
      I'm not familiar with any Windows disc that presents those options, so I don't really know what you've got there. I suppose it is a manufacturer-constructed recovery disc.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

zinger

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 02:36:25 PM »
        I have a homemade disk, I'm thinking I've gone down the wrong path and need to back up and start over. I found this procedure and it looks promising.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/be-ready-to-use-the-windows-8-recovery-drive/

zinger

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
          Hey, I finally succeeded! After enough trial and errors, I did a fresh install of Windows 8. I'm a lot happier now that I've got my old computer up and running. When booting from a homemade disk, it gives 4 options and I picked Windows Legacy. I then proceeded to use "Troubleshoot" and eventually to "Reset". I then had to answer all kinds of questions like you would when installing a new copy of Windows.
          Thanks to BC_Programmer for taking the time to try and help, it's not easy working with a dummy like me.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 05:04:03 PM »
          Kewl Beans...Kudos to BC...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "