Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to connect two computers together by USB cable?  (Read 2095 times)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

How to connect two computers together by USB cable?
    « on: May 12, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
    Hi!

I want to connect 2 computers together by USB cable.
    Purpose: Data transfer

It connecting more computers, but at once only two.
    It is between OSes:
    Windows - Windows
    Windows - DOS
    Windows - Linux Mint based Commodore OS
    Windows - OSX

How to do it and what in connections written above is it possible?

Thank you for help.
    Miro

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to connect two computers together by USB cable?
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »
    MIRKOSOFT,
    Here is the easy answer. Connect the devices via Wireless ,not cable.

Let me explain. The cost of the special USB crossover cable and the required software is expensive and does not fill your specs. It only works an some systems.

But Wireless is the now-standard way of data transfer between a wide range of devices. Most PCs and tablets already have wireless.You cost can be zero.

Bluetooth is a good way to transfer data between two drives in your home or office.

Another  popular method is to use a 'cloud' service to share data.  Any numberof devices can get the same set of MP3, Photos and text all in one place. And lyou can have as much privacy as you want.

Forget the USB cable. 
    << OR- >>
    Do you want the link to the expensive, worthless USB crossover cable.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 07:03:07 PM »
    You need a USB Bridge cable. These effectively appear as network devices, and the computers at either end communicate with the other as if they were communicating over a standard network connection.

here is an example from a search of Amazon. ~$20.

These are compatible pretty much on any platform, However, DOS is out. USB compatibility in DOS is limited to certain aftermarket products which provide say USB Mass storage. It is not generally USB capable. You would need to find another solution for a DOS-only system if necessary.

Otherwise, Linux and even Windows 98SE can be handled with it I expect. The latter requires appropriate driverss which appear to be available in a generic form.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 01:05:42 AM »
      Ok, I want to ask for else one possible solution:
      I have all computers connected to single router and they're all connected via LAN RJ-45 cable.
      How to make them visible between?
      Windows 10, Windows 7, MS-DOS 7.10, Linux Mint based Commodore OS and OSX 10.4

Miro

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 02:21:58 PM »
      Bow you are on the right track!
      Sharing files over Ethernet is a wall-developed methjod.
      Here is a good starter from Gizmo:
      [ur=]https://gizmodo.com/5430678/how-to-make-your-pc-and-mac-share-stuff-like-best-friends]How To: Make Your PC and Mac Share Stuff Like Best Friends[/url]
      quote...

Networking is stupid. You'd think it'd be real darn easy to share stuff between PCs and Macs, but it's not as nearly simple as it should be. So, here's how to make 'em talk and share stuff like best friends.

He is right, it harder than it outta be. But he does help.

Talk to Me, Girl
      So, assuming that your PC and Mac are both sitting comfortably on your network, wirelessly or otherwise (if you haven't gotten that far, you need more help than I'll be providing right here), there are a couple of different ways for the various machines on your network to talk to each other and share files. Think of 'em sorta like languages.

You will have to read the whole article to catch what he is saying. There are different methods of sharing from Apple OS and the Windows OS.
      Windows 7 is rather easy. Turn on file sharing and select a folder to share.
      Linux is easy. Use Samba. With Samba you see anything visible on the network.

The big advantage of  using Ethernet is that you do not have to buy anymore hardware if the  PC or device has Ethernet. And most routers now tie the Ethernet and Wireless together in the same local block. Smartphones Tablets have wireless.
      Read over that article and come back here if you need to.

The USB device sold on Amazon is for Widows only. You would have to find a App in the Apple store to make it work. There is, and what I found was very limited.
      EDIT:  Watt I may be wrong. I did not try this free Apple App:
      USB Disk SE
      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/usb-disk-se/id370531520?mt=8

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »
      The USB device sold on Amazon is for Widows only.
      The Amazon product page lists that it is only for Windows version in it's title. But it's not. it's a generic device. A USB Bridge cable is not something that can be made "Windows only". It will be detected appropriately by any modern Linux distro. Even OS X 10.4 includes generic USB to Ethernet class drivers which very likely will work automatically. It is the pirated MS-DOS 7.10 that presents an issue in terms of supporting USB.

You would have to find a App in the Apple store to make it work. There is, and what I found was very limited.

A special App is not needed for a USB Bridge; typically they require a generic USB to Ethernet driver. Beyond that, it's like having the systems in question wired together via Ethernet.

They don't have access to the Apple App Store anyway. It was not added until OSX 10.6.

Regardless, I agree that it is a non-optimal solution. Aside from any other concerns- or the fact that USB can often be a pain in the *censored*, it only works between two systems.

For the Ethernet option, you can use Samba on the Linux system and create shares. These should be accessible on Windows 10 and Windows 7 and OS X. It may be necessary to adjust configuration files for Samba- OSX 10.4 is likely to require SMBv1. MS-DOS again is where you have trouble. It's going to depend a lot on specifically what network adapter you have installed and whether you are even using it (Do you have appropriate network drivers loading at startup? Can you use the NET command? (eg NET VIEW)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 03:49:01 PM »
      Thank you BC for the clarification.
      Here is a VIDEO link about the PC USB Bridge that I have not seen yet.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq3FR7YpNV4

Anyway, it is not the ideal answer.
      Also, both  Android and Apple have apps for 'USB tethering.'

He needs to go Ethernet and/or Wireless.