Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Making a recovery disk  (Read 3855 times)

zinger

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    Making a recovery disk
    « on: May 17, 2018, 03:03:37 PM »
    I know these questions are dumb and dumber but with my present state of mind, everything seems shaky. I'm wanting to make a recovery disk/flash drive for the new computer recently purchased. I looked up how to make a recovery drive but didn't see the need to because someone has already filled up drive "D" with one. All I really need to do is just copy it right?

While we're at it, I'm getting ready to run a recovery flash drive on a computer with a new hard drive. My question is, there seem to be several folders on the recovery flash drive, is there a particular one you select or do you open them all in sequence?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Making a recovery disk
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »
    You need to use the utility that came with the computer to create that. Its not as simple as copying contents to a USB stick. Some computers only allow you to create this recovery media once, and after its created you cant create a new set. If you blew your 1 chance at making recovery media then I would contact the manufacturer of the computer to order a recovery set. If its covered by warranty they might provide this for you for free under warranty terms however most will charge you for this.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:42:39 PM »
    Not 100% sure what you are chasing, but here are some options.
    First up, the partition (sounds like D:\ in your case) on a drive called Recovery is usually made by Windows and used to repair Windows.
    Although some manufactures create one too.  But the bottom line is there is nothing in it for you to play with.  Leave it alone.
    As to creating your own recovery media, I would personally use a free program called Macrium Reflect.  It'll do a system image of the PC for you that can then be used if the need arises.But as you must have Windows 10 on the new system, it has an inbuilt utility for also creating a recovery drive.Simply type recovery into the search bar and you'll see an app called Recovery Drive.  It requires at least a 16GB USB stick.

zinger

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 02:29:34 AM »
      Thanks Mark and Dave, I followed the procedure on the Windows 10 computer and it finished a little while ago. It's been a while since I made one for the Windows 8 computer and time will tell if I did it right.

BerythaBeasley

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 04:10:40 AM »
         Should you use CD or DVD as a recovery disk?
        To make your own recovery disk for HP laptop running windows 7 should you use CD or DVD as a recovery disk?

What is file size? Will it fit on one disk or would you need two or three disks or more? How big is file size?

Also should you use R disk or RW disk?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 08:14:41 AM »
        Use Macrium Reflect-Free to perform image backups.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »
        Also should you use R disk or RW disk?
        Avoid the RW DVD.