Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display Issue in DOS  (Read 4394 times)

bpatt

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Display Issue in DOS
    « on: May 17, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
    Starting off, I'm not fluent in MS-DOS at all. I'm OK in later operating systems.

I'm trying to revive an older piece of test equipment which is running Windows 95 but the program that I'm trying to run is a MS-DOS program.

When I run the program it kicks out of 95 GUI into DOS which then start the program but the display of the program is crushed at the top of the screen (see image). The initial DOS portion looks fine and when I restart windows into DOS it looks fine until I try to run this program. From what I've read online, seems like DOS programs/games would often fix the screen resolution in the game config file or it defaults to graphics card native resolution.

Is there a way to force program resolution? I've tried to edit the config of the windows 95 program call (right click on program->properties->Advanced) but I'm obviously doing it wrong since it doesn't seem to change anything. I'm not even sure what the appropriate command would be. Is there a way to force load graphics drivers for my video card in DOS? I've tried both LCD and CRT monitors with no change.

The documentation I have for the program mentions nothing about changing resolution and I've found nothing in the file that I can read in notepad that suggests a resolution setting. I'm not sure if I can just add a command for resolution at the end of a config.sys to make this work.

Computer Specs:
    Windows 95 4.00.950.B
    Pentium Pro
    512MB RAM
    20GB Diamond Max Plus
    Xpert2000Pro 32M AGP
    E139761 Motherboard

Thanks,

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Display Issue in DOS
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »
    I'd try a different video card or onboard GPU vs the higher end GPU and see if it is any better.

The fact that a CRT did the same thing to me points to an issue with how the GPU renders the program. So trying a different GPU might be the solution.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »
    Going to echo Dave's consideration here. Assuming, that is, the program didn't previously work on this same machine.

A lot of older MS-DOS applications can encounter these sorts of issues with newer graphics cards. The ATI "Rage" series of graphics cards were largely intended for use by Windows (and Macintosh), and suffered from a lot of problems with MS-DOS Graphics. The Xpert 2000 Pro is based on the ATI Rage 128 chip so it's likely to suffer from many of the same issues with regards to MS-DOS compatibility.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

bpatt

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »
      Thanks for the quick responses. I was wondering if might be an issue but I didn't have a different graphics card to try and the motherboard doesn't appear to have on-board graphics.

Any recommendations for better DOS compatible graphics cards? I'll look online but I if you had something in mind that might work but it would might save me having to buy more than one card.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »
      One possible last thing to try for this card, actually. In addition to the "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" option you used, you can also boot more "pure"- this is done by pressing F5 as Windows is starting. (even before it shows the Windows 95 booting logo- I usually just go ham on the key as I boot the system) This should boot to  plain MS-DOS. You'll be at a C:\> prompt. You'll want to use the cd command to change to and move to the directory containing the software in question and start it by typing the name of it's executable file. (dir can be used to view the contents of the current directory).

(I want to note that the above instructions are only there because you said you weren't fluent with MS-DOS so if it comes off as patronizing, I apologize!)

There is also a possibility that the software is  expecting a very specific graphics card; say if the software was provided as part of an industrial package as part of the machine. For obvious reasons that could be problematic. I would expect that to be documented but it sounds like you've looked through the documentation and I expect something like that would have stuck out.

Just speaking from my own experience  for cards  in that "era", I recall that cards from S3 had good MS-DOS compatibility. S3 Trio64V and S3 Virge come to mind in particular.

I've seem glowing reviews about the MS-DOS compatibility of Matrox cards- but I've also heard the exact opposite. In the latter case, the individual was always talking about video games, so it's  unclear if it would apply to a more industrial/business software program that uses graphics mode.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
      Also to note in addition to what BC said, you dont need to go with an AGP card. You can go with PCI as well, but if using a PCI video card the AGP slot needs to be empty of a video card. You might even have an older ISA 8 or 16 bit slot on motherboard too to which you could go with a much older Trident 1MB VGA or SVGA Card or Oak Technology of around the same specs, however going too far backwards with older GPU's means that Windows 95 could run into issues for drivers and 1MB is plenty for most DOS programs, but a 4MB or greater memory capacity video card is best for Windows 95.

Just out of curiosity do you know the system requirements of the software your trying to run? Like was this designed for an 8088 or 286 with CGA or EGA graphics, and your wanting to run it on that Pentium Pro with a SVGA card?

Even knowing what year the software was created would help to pair it better with a GPU of that era, might be able to get this from date/time stamp of the program to know how old it is if it still retains the original date/time stamp. If this program was copied from one location to another though it could have a newer date/time stamp depending on how it came over from one drive to another etc.

bpatt

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 12:48:17 PM »
        sorry about the delay in response, I was getting a different video card and testing other stuff.

So, i got a S3 Trio64V2/DX and things look better. Now, one of the programs looks fine but when I tried to run the other one, I get a error/warning about VESA VBE drivers. I've tried to find and "install" these drivers but I'm not seeing any difference. Do i need to manually set the DOS run of the software to use specific divers (config/autoexec)? I received no drivers with the video card and used what i found online.

I don't know the intended hardware for this system but the software is originally 1996.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:33 PM »
        So what does this software do and its title? 

For software created in 1996 seems overly hardware picky! Most software written in the 1990s works with  most systems unless the software was written for a specific piece of hardware ( computer system ) to run it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 12:53:09 AM »
        From what I can find, the S3 Trio64V2 has BIOS VESA support. However, You have to run the program directly in MS-DOS for that to work; Windows 95 won't allow that level of BIOS access.

bpatt

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »
          The software is called IC598 and it was made by Sonix for scanning acoustic microscopy. It has a hardware LPT dongle so I assume they are very paranoid about their software. Also, yes, I have contacted Sonix and they sent a nice end of life letter while telling me they wouldn't help me at all since it was EOL.

I just tried running the program in DOS (reboot windows into DOS mode) and it just hangs up on me while doing nothing. The odd thing was when I had the "newer" video card which only shows the top 10% of the screen, this program would open without compliant (apart from the 10% thing).