Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LACIE CORRUPT EXTERNAL DRIVE DRIVE  (Read 1887 times)

cathgracecavin

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    LACIE CORRUPT EXTERNAL DRIVE DRIVE
    « on: May 17, 2018, 10:21:31 PM »
    Hey y'all. I have a Macbook running OS High Sierra.

I made the mistake of removing my external hard drive without ejecting it properly and I think it corrupted my files.

I have an external drive (LaCie, 1 TB) that is not showing up on my desktop or my Disk Utility. I've used a different cord, I've tried plugging into my roommate's computer. Nothing.

It's lighting up like it's plugged it, but it's making a small beeping noise. It's not registering at all anywhere.

I don't really care if I lose the data, it's just some mods for my games and some old photos. But I need the drive because my dang computer has such little hard drive space I cannot partition my computer without an external drive.

But I can't even find the disk to mount it in order to erase it and start fresh.... HELP.

I have not had this drive for very long at all, about 2 months.

I wanna scream. I spent literally like $90 on this.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: LACIE CORRUPT EXTERNAL DRIVE DRIVE
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 05:04:58 AM »
    I'd return the drive under warranty...i have never had good luck with that brand at all.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »
    +1 with Patio - return it for replacement.Lacie has an excellent return policy, used it myself a few times over the years with a couple of their extreme USB sticks and one of their rugged external drive units.
    the physical drive inside will either be a Toshiba, Hitachi, Seagate or Western Digital so judging by the name on the external badge is misleading, in this sort of case where one company uses other companies parts, it's the reputation of the visible brand name that gets hurt so they need, and have, a very good return process.
    for the times I've used them, I bypassed the retailer where I got them from (although you could certainly go to them as you are entitled to do) and liaised directly with Lacie.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »
    Good point...it should ne noted LaCie does not make HDD's
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "