Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Curious if anyone has messed around with ReactOS to say whether its any good?  (Read 2580 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Was looking for a new OS to try out and a website pointed me to TrueOS to which i found this video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoxluItj1uA

That video at the tail end of it gave a link which then showed a video on ReactOS which is for running Windows Applications without a Microsoft Windows OS, so that started my curiosity on this project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne88Is2cymQ&t=11s

https://www.reactos.org/

Its in its alpha stage and the ISO is fairly small in size. I haven't tried it out yet, but was curious if anyone else has yet. Some things that I am interested in is just how well it will run programs and applications intended for Windows and if its crippled by OpenGL GPU performance or not that bad? There is a Live CD and a CD capacity friendly download for doing an installation. One of the downloads flagged as ( I believe but not positive yet ) as a false positive by Firefox which was interesting. I have had other things flag as potentially malicious which haven't been but there is something in their code that flags them as a malware positive.

In regards to TrueOS, I like the feature that allows you to pick a desktop GUI environment, but I have only see that in the video and havent installed these yet to try out.

https://www.trueos.org/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
One of the downloads flagged as ( I believe but not positive yet ) as a false positive by Firefox which was interesting
Not sure what you mean here- as Firefox isn't an AV Scanner. Perhaps you have an add-on that is doing this?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
I thought it was firefox that was flagging it, .... but perhaps its AVG Antivirus able to warn through Firefox somehow.... Included some pics showing the warning I get, and that I dont have many addons installed ( none for malware control ) for Firefox 59, and AVG Free might be flagging this through Firefox somehow.  :-\

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Simple test...DLoad it again in FFox with AVG dis-abled...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Thanks for that suggestion Patio... Never thought of that approach to the what should be a false positive detection observed within FireFox download list.  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
iirc Firefox will use installed AV software to scan downloads.

ReactOS components have been flagged by a few AV softwares for a good number of years. I found this old thread.

I would suspect that the AV software that flags it is probably seeing Windows DLL and EXE files and freaks out because it's not signed by Microsoft, as that is something that could occur on a Windows system that is infected.

I used to have a VM with ReactOS, but deleted it a while back.

Just installed it again now and it still won't accept the Windows  9x or XP VMWare Tools (Drivers). "Explorer" hangs altogether by simply viewing the directory containing the file. It also hangs trying to run the installer from command prompt.

Well, The install itself went smoothly, I suppose. I was able to install the Update Lister bootstrapper for our business software but lost interest.  I'm not sure if the needed .NET version will install but that's something for later.

What do you mean regarding "Crippled OpenGL Performance"? Is  that a reference to Linux distributions typically coming with a software-based MESA OpenGL driver and thus getting lower performance than Windows Out-of-the-box?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.