Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 10 updae on my Dell 755.  (Read 2589 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Win 10 updae on my Dell 755.
« on: May 24, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »
I already posted a thing abut the Windows 10 April update.
This thread is specific to my trouble with Windows 10 update on my Dell OptiPlex 755 Desktop,,which I have used for many r months after buying it on eBay.

This Dell 755 Optiplex desktop is the third Dell I have owned in the 745 and  755 group. Presently I also have a Dell 745 SFF as an emergency backup, but I do not use it because it is not able to accept any PCI cards I hive. But that is  mot relevant here. What I am trying to say is that I have experience with these OptiPlex  desktops. My point is that I have installed Windows 10 many times  learn more about Windows 10.

Now about the current issue. I have tested over again my hardware. There is a known issue, but it does not relate to the problem. Windows  XP works fine, even with one hardware device not working right.  With early version of Windows 10, the 1709, it works find and does not report any hardware device not working.

Here is what I have done this past week. Iremovedthe500 GB drive from the 755 and found an older 40 GB SATA drive in my junk box spare parts bin. That 40 GB had good copy of 1709. So I let it update Windows 10. Well, it apparently did not update to the latest, but it works just fine. Time to try something else.  :-\

I make a new DVD with the 17127 Windows. I got the ISO from Microsoft.  I have an account, so i ti is  legal and has a digital license. So far, so good. I have an 89 GB drive in the parts bin. I let 17127 use the whole things. To get to the point, it installs well. OK, now for the updates. Guess  what?  It has trouble.  :'(

The trouble is with the login. It hangs after I give my PIN. The little circle keeps spinning and then just stops. But the system is not frozen. Finally, after a re boot and another attempt at login I somehow get into the desktop.

Are yu following me? I had a working Windows 10 more that once or twice on this 755. But now it stalls on the login and after I bang on some keys it gives me the desktop. So I recall something I had observed before. I need a local user account. So I make one, no password required. Viola! Went I start up the 755 and select the local user with no password, it pops right into the desktop with no hesitation a tall. All I have to do is select the local use account, then just enter a blank  password. I mean no password,just hit enter.  8)

So how can that work?  Anytime administrator permission is needed,  Windows 10 asks for my password, the password for my registered Microsoft account. An it works.

I can see there are many new features in Windows 10. So it must be the April Update. But it does not say it is the April update.  Maybe it is too embarrassed to admit it.   :P

Again, this  is on my Dell Optiplex 55 with the 43 bit 17127 running after update yesterday. I have yet to install any software until I am sure the Windows 10 update is good. So far it  worlds just fine. But I dare not login with my Microsoft account.  ;D
Comments?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Win 10 updae on my Dell 755.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:26:47 PM »
Until you give up the ghost on those old aging HDD's i'm done with this issue...

You are simply repeating the process you went thru for 4 days a month ago...which is the definition of insanity...keep doin somethin over and over expecting different results...

Good Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »
The way for an idiot to learn is to try again.   ::)
keep doin somethin over and over expecting different results...
Which is how I found the issue was my Microsoft account, not the hardware.

Now I can turn on my old 755, let it come up with the local user selected and I jut hit enter and I am in. The trick was to have a local user account.

For what it is worth, this  Windows 10 update flow has been documented.
Search for:
Windows 10 hangs at login screen after latest update
Most recent decent answer:
https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/stuck-loading-screen-fall-creators-update.html
After updating to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, numerous users get trapped in the "Windows 10 stuck on loading screen" issue. The Windows 10 flashing screen always shows up the blue Microsoft logo for a long time with the spinning dots below. Users can't boot into the login screen until they force their laptop or desktop to reboot.

It is an old problem, but it is not about old hardware.  :o
(It was earlier reported back in 2015. And still it happens.)

My solution is to have a local account without password. It is a security bug.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »
I rest my case...

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »
Thank you Patio for your help.
Searching serval articles that also mention this problem, I now have a working hypothetical answer  about this issue.
I can not log in using my Microsoft account.
I can login with anotgher account. Jutg nmot my account.
For permissikons, I still haveto use my password to get permission to do anything. But the problem comes back if I try to use my account to login or even switch user.

In tghe harware tghing, there is no indication of a b ad driver. I am using the direvers taht Widows 10 installed for this PC.

I now believe it is indeed a harsware issue, but can not be resolved except by not using my own persoanl Microsft account. I can get myu emial, that is not a problem. I just can not use my user account to login.

There are liley few users who would ever comeinto the same problem.  Atthis point,I am not going topursure this any further. It just means that to use Widnows 10 I can not go beyhoun d 1709 with updates. The updates mess me up if I use a morfe recent version of Windos 10. SoI will not longeruse this machineto try the Insider Updates.

Atthis point I thnink it is safe totry using my newer PC for insider previews.
But I am not sure if I would wantg to. I am getting too old for this kindof stuff.

LatrerI will try updates on my newer PC and see if tghe problem is hardware related. I now suspect that it is, but I will nmot know untilI try.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:20:29 PM »
In tghe harware tghing, there is no indication of a b ad driver. I am using the direvers taht Widows 10 installed for this PC.

Thats part of your issue...drivers should come from the manuf. site...though i doubt Win 10 drivers are available...

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »
Update.
There are drivers for the Dell 755 after Windows vista.
Windows 7 works fine with the drivers MS installs.

I have had Windows 10 on this 755 for some time. So I started to think it over

Somehow, someway Windows 10 has changed is some way that makes trouble for my Dell Optiplex 755. Time for some research. I found it!

The system will lock up when i try to use the Magnifier. Windows 10 has a full screen magnifier, not the lens of Windows 7 or Windows XP. Any attempt to use the Windows 10 magnifier will cause the latest version to hang on my 755.

Just to confirm, I do quick install of the latest version on my Gateway PC. I use some free space on the HDD to make a partition just fo'  testing the new version winnows 10. It works fine. No issue with the magnifier.

OK, time to back track. I install the 1607 on the Dell 755. No problem. Magnifier works . So now I need find the day things went bad. fine. Using a prior version on the 755, I find that the magnifier does lock the system. No BSOD. Just the mouse will not move and the keyboard has little o now effect. Well, Ctrl + Alt+ Del  will bring up a blue screen with a small menu. But I can not select anything on the menu. No cursor movement.

Re boot, check settings and find:
Windows 10 pro version 1709
OS Build  16299.431

After horsing around a bit,I was able to find e specific settings fort the magnifier and made some very plain generic settings to reduce that load on the what ch ma c all it sub-system. Or whatever it is. A dumb magnifier. Stable, but it is functional. It does not follow the cursor or focus. It just makes the screen show a portion but nothing  dynamic.
This is without a dual display.

There is noway I am going to spend more time on this.
Again, it was the magnifier. The problem was already there before the last windows update. For some reason my Microsoft account got set to some wired thing that turns on the magnifier right after login. That is why my MS account would stall.

Whenever I used my wife's MS account,there was no problem. She never needs the magnifier so her account was not set to turn it on.

I now have my MS account so  magnifier is automatically loaded at login. If I ever  want to use it,I have to be in single monitor mode and not have any fancy stuff. Like do not follow the mouse, etc.

Lesson: Windows 10 update ruins the magnifier on some older video cards when using dual monitors. Or something like that  I can not find specific documentation.
This link is maybe so or maybe not so.
https://www.zoomtext.com/help/releasenotes/
Fix for system freeze on systems configured with multiple monitors and Windows 10 Spring Creators Update
On systems configured with multiple monitors and the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update, when launching ZoomText 2018 or Fusion 2018 the system would freeze with black screen. This problem has been fixed.