Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting data off SSD hard drive  (Read 1826 times)

jooleyen

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Getting data off SSD hard drive
    « on: May 24, 2018, 06:55:37 PM »
    How can I get data off an SSD hard drive? My XPS 13 got some water on it and won t turn on, but I want to get the data off the hard drive.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Getting data off SSD hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 05:02:35 AM »
    Buy an external HDD enclosure...or install it as a slave HDD in a working desktop...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »
    Assuming the SSD wasn't wet/dunked patio's suggestion should work. If it got wet, you will need to be sure its dry before powering on or else total data loss would occur if a droplet or more of water is across chip legs etc.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:15:48 PM »
    Your Dell XPS 13 has a  M.2 Type 2280 SSD installed which will require something like this https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-760
    and will need to have the Laptop dismantled to remove the drive. Also be very careful handling the drive as it is very static sensitive. If you have used any of the Dells security features make sure you check the ssd can be read outside the laptop, before you try  it in the usb adapter. Dell support should help with this info.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan