Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Why is there no Linux on your computer?

I like paying MS $100 per computer
0 (0%)
I don't know what dual boot means
0 (0%)
Someone told me it was hard
0 (0%)
I'm too stupid. I don't get it.
0 (0%)
I like viruses, spyware, etc.
0 (0%)
I don't want to learn (stubborn)
1 (7.7%)
I like to upgrade hardware for Windows
0 (0%)
Tried it > 1 week - didn't like
0 (0%)
Tried it < 1 hour - didn't like
0 (0%)
I would like more information
3 (23.1%)
I don't know if my hardware works with it
1 (7.7%)
Any other reason - please elaborate
2 (15.4%)
I don't want to reformat my drive.
2 (15.4%)
I don't know what Linux is. Help me!!
3 (23.1%)
I use it already! I am happy.
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Why don' you at least dual boot with Linux?  (Read 13443 times)

GX1_Man

Why don' you at least dual boot with Linux?
« on: January 08, 2006, 07:06:37 AM »
OK, folks. I am interested in why you have or have not used Linux, at least in a dual boot configuration. To me, it just makes sense, if for no other reason than it makes you safe on the internet wihout buying, downloading updates and scanning for viruses/adware/spyware on a regular basis. You can even keep Windows if you want for those "must have" applications or games that require Windows.

You don't have to have extravagant hardware, or massive disk space or RAM, (although with any operating system more can be better!) For the most part it is free and comes in many "flavors", so there will be one for you. It networks fine, plays DVD's, burns CD's, has all the applications you could want (also mostly free!), so I just want to get an idea why more people on this board don't at least give it a try. Live CD's are available for free to let you take a look at Linux running on your machine, which writes nothing to your hard drive. In fact you don't even need a hard drive! Totally safe on the internet.

Thanks for your vote and posts. (I covered all of the possibilities I could think of.)

GX1

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    Re: Why don' you at least dual boot with Linux?
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 07:46:38 AM »
    I started 3 days ago and I am on the way passing to Linux. :) Do you have recommendations for me?
    Thanks.
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 07:48:01 AM »
    Give me your hardware specs and how your drives are configured as well as your goal, apps used, etc. for a knowledgable response.  ;)

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 08:21:05 AM »
    My computers are to old I would never know the true preformance of linux. Linux didnt use to use up alot of system resources I hear but now when I use it they have all these new fancy layout etc... Ouch for my 2MB video card. Also I have hard drive space that is to little nothing over 12gb. Maybe I can put it on my brand new laptop? Nah it doesnt have a floppy drive to reformat... Will it even work with linux? I dont know. I knoe in the future I when I get a newer computer I will try linux and be glad I will never pay $200.000 for Microsoft Windows.. I mean $200 for a OS that is Outrageous. Dont they make enough money out of games and consoules allready.. then again you can never have to much money.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 08:24:52 AM »
       I am just trying to try :) another OS, also Windows seems boring. No specific goal for passing to Linux. Just want to try and have more knowledge of OSs. No specific apps will run. No games! (Note that I am not interested in entertainment, except music :))I am curious about installation, requiremetnts, hardware compatibility, etc... Ok I am reading books and searching for information on the net. But more exact recommendations would be better.

I will buy a new computer for the dual boot. Current PC have low configuration. So please you give me info regarding to recommended configuration.

Planning to have dual boot Windows 2003 Server and Linux (don't know which version, may be Red Hat?)
      Approximate summary will be:
      Intel Pentium 4, 2.6 Ghz
      HD - 80 GB (Maxtor) (3 partitions probably 15,15,50MB)
      RAM - 512 MB
      Video - 128 MB
      BIOS - Award

GX1_Man

Re: Why don't you dual boot with XP?
      « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 08:45:41 AM »
      If Linux would produce ONE operating system instead of a plethora of systems I might then try it.

The thing to remember is that Linux is not a company. It is a kernel to an operating system. Distribuions are made based on that kernel and apps that the developers felt were relevant for their product. These may be large companies, Novell/SuSe or small one man productions, There is no overseer of a Linux project because that is the nature of free software. Some distributions are better for servers, some for low end systems, some for the latest and greatest, etc.

The fact that you recognize the value of Knoppix and use it shows it is relevant to you. Knoppix can also be instqalled to a hard drive, you know.

If Linux wants to get used properly it will have to come up with a system like Apple Mac and produce its own computer, in my considered opinion.

That is how Linux has been different. Since Apple sells the hardware and the software they control all variables, so compatibility is not an issue. You can't just scrape together parts and run Apple software on it, like you can with Windows or Linux. The price of this compatibility is higher cost due to the monopoly.

Windows will run on a hodge podge of parts (usuallly) but the newer versions require more and different hardware. The licensing is what drives the cost of Windows, another virtual monopoly, and is now evident with the WIndows activation to ensure 1 copy of Windows for each machine (or it doesn't work). Ina ddition, most companies dfo not write drivers for Linux for their products so these have to be reverse engineered after the fact. (Ever hear of a WinModem that works in DOS?)

Some Linux companies, ex: Linspire have been pushing hard to get their O/S bundled with new hardware as this is how Windows got to their current status - bundling (plus they also used illegal tactics to squash the competition, but that's another story.) That is the number one reason for XP sales, they just HAPPENED to come with your new computer you bought at Best Buy. Oh and you paid for it, make no mistake about that. It just wasn't on the sales ticket.

I think there is a need for many variants of Linux, but in the end we are left with a few larger companies that will make it to the mainstream - SuSe, Linspire, Xandros, Mandriva, and RedHat obviously. Some have gone, some have merged and that will continue.

The fact that there is no huge conglomerate producing your O/S is why the price is either free or ridiculously low, especially compared to Windows, but the result of no overseeing of the "final product" can either be seen as a blessing or a drawback. I thought an anarchist like you would prefer that.  ;)

Good discussion, though.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 11:34:21 AM »
      My computers are to old I would never know the true preformance of linux. Linux didnt use to use up alot of system resources I hear but now when I use it they have all these new fancy layout etc... Ouch for my 2MB video card. Also I have hard drive space that is to little nothing over 12gb. Maybe I can put it on my brand new laptop? Nah it doesnt have a floppy drive to reformat... Will it even work with linux? I dont know. I knoe in the future I when I get a newer computer I will try linux and be glad I will never pay $200.000 for Microsoft Windows.. I mean $200 for a OS that is Outrageous. Dont they make enough money out of games and consoules allready.. then again you can never have to much money.

Win98,

How much RAM and I recall you had a Celeron processor. You could also try using this old machine as is for a less power hungry distribution, like Slackware. Are you on dialup or cable/DSL?

Peccavi,

What isi your current hardware? Your proposed system would be more than enough. Are you on dialup or Cable/DSL?

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
        « Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 11:56:06 AM »

Peccavi,

What isi your current hardware? Your proposed system would be more than enough. Are you on dialup or Cable/DSL?

I am on dial up. And will be for a long time it seems :( Very expensive here DSL.
        I am attaching current system summary.

Blackberry

Adviser
        • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
          Re: Why don't you dual boot with XP?
          « Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 12:27:13 PM »
          I was attacked by a penguin, when only a child.  :-X

LOOOOOOOOL :D, attacked by the butterfly of MSN (microsoft) too? :D
          Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
            « Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 11:51:14 PM »
            Fairly cool. ;)