Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Limiting router usage through two computers differently.  (Read 2424 times)

backflip

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Limiting router usage through two computers differently.
    « on: May 22, 2018, 02:27:25 AM »
    Hi all, I have two computers on the one Router/modem in my Network - both on W7. I need one computer to never see the Internet and remain in the Network, and the other to be limited to 12 hours daily on the Intenet and remain on the Network. I have a Netgear Gateway Pro through my Telstra dealer and have successfully limited one computer to 12 hours via Security/Block MAC settings. But, when I add another computer it seems I don't have the ability to make them DIFFERENT daily times, or at least - I cant work out how to do it. Seems it just defaults both of the computers to the same limited time. Can anyone help me out here, please?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Limiting router usage through two computers differently.
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:31:01 AM »
    Can you take a screenshot of your network configuration for this device for how you have this rule set for the 12 hour rule so we can see the rule and options you have available?

If there are any drop down menus for the settings please specify your options as well and we will try to help.

Only problem I ever had like this was that a router had a limit to how many devices had rules set for them. I ended up having to be creative to not have a rule apply to all, because I was limited in entries I just gave the router an IP address span for the rule so devices 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.50 were on the restriction and these devices were set up with static IP Addresses and all other devices connecting were DHCP so they got 192.168.1.50 thru .250 and I reserved the few IP's after for static printer IP's etc. Maybe your router will allow a setting like this, then any device you have connected with a static IP you have the 12 hour limit on and others dont. Additionally if you had devices coming and going and didnt want to have to add mac address entries for each device but wanted them to apply to a rule, you could do the inverse on the router I had an set devices on DHCP to have the rule but static entries within an IP address range to be immune from restrictions. To be able to help you better we need to see what type of configuration rules you can go with for your device as they vary between brand and even between models of the same brand. Some only allow restrictions via MAC address targeting, others allow IP range management. Its more common for MAC Address targeting, but maybe you can set a IP range for the rule like I did for a client.

The other way that I have restricted internet to only certain hours of the day for devices was by having a wired network with a electric timer with the 5 port network switch connected thru the timer for power. Only during specific times of the day would that switch be powered and offer a network an internet connection. But outside of this window of time it was completely offline.

Did this as well for someone who was paranoid about their wireless network being live all the time even though it was password protected, they wanted their wireless only active when they were home. So They wanted it active from 5pm to midnight and dead the rest of the day. So I connected their wireless router though this electric wall timer and it then would be on for 7 hours of the day and off the other 17 hours of the day and it was a cheap solution.  ;D

backflip

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Limiting router usage through two computers differently.
      « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »
      Thank you for your input Dave, I have attached a couple of screen shots, hope this is what you referred to. I have been thinking about my actual goal here...I have a specific HP computer running W7 for the purpose of inputting stuff into a business program and some Word document processing, with no email or internet requirements. I have another HP with W7 sitting right beside it that I use for email and Internet plus another business program. Thing is, I have the occasional need to shift files between these two computers, this I am laboriously doing with a USB thumb drive - moving it between them.. Would a simpler operation be to wire the two computers together with a cable somehow to allow connection? Not a super whizz on this stuff, but is this a suitable solution? It is sounding a little complicated going down the road of my previous request. Sorry to be a nuisance, would this be a simpler solution and is this a novice achievable task?