Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What browser are you running?  (Read 121557 times)

Dude111

What browser are you running?
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:54:38 PM »
For those of us on Win9se,95,etc... :)

Im using IE6 with MyIE2 in front (Nicest IE wrapper I have ever found)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: What browser are you running?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »
Curious why your using such an old OS for internet access?

I tried years ago to squeeze the life of Windows 2000 Professional SP4 further on an old Pentium 166Mhz with 128MB RAM and browsers dropping support for older than XP operating systems eventually meant that I had to move on from it because of security risks as well as websites with Flash and other content wouldnt display properly. I even thought maybe I could install Linux to it and use the old Pentium 166Mhz further for internet access, but the Linux distros with the latest browsers required more RAM than the Pentium 166Mhz could support.  :-\

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »
I still run a Win2K rig...zero security issues at all...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »
XP is the earliest Windows machine I have connected to the Internet.

With a good amount of RAM and stuff like KernelEx you can get some reasonably recent Firefox versions running on Windows 98SE and 2000.

If I remember correctly, I was accessing Computerhope primarily through a Windows 2000 machine when I first joined the forum.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dude111

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Quote from: Patio
I still run a Win2K rig...zero security issues at all...

Im glad to hear that Patio!! (Win2000 and WinME look alot like 98 (And 95 for that matter))

Quote from: DaveLembke
Curious why your using such an old OS for internet access?

Well Dave I guess I just really love Win98se.... One of the BEST os's they ever made :)

Quite user friendly :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 04:58:56 PM »
Actually Win 2K was one of the best,,,hands down.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kemperhills

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 09:45:32 PM »
      Well Dave I guess I just really love Win98se.... One of the BEST os's they ever made :)

Dude, gotta agree with you on Win 98 SE.  I first started using Windows with W95.  Shortly after upgraded to Windows 98 SE.  I, like you, really lover that old OS and wish there was a browser that would work on the old girl.  If there was I would use W98 SE today. 

To clarify.  I know older browsers will work, but I was referring to a browser that would run on 98 SE and work on the modern day internet. 

I have run 98 SE on VirtualBox, and found the drivers, updates, etc for the old girl to work properly, but can't find a browser it.

However, because of what I consider Microsofts arrogance with Windows 10 I am installing Linux on my computers.  I still have Windows on this computer just for programs that need Windows to run.  Also I have about 3000 wps files that I need to access and can't find a word processor that will open the WPS file and keep the format.  And, I am not about to go through using another word processor and have to reformat all the files by hand.  Call me lazy ;D 8)

Minux1

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 07:46:23 AM »
      Firefox on all my computers ... I run Windows, Linux and MAC computers ... mostly laptops ... the operating systems all have their strengths, weaknesses, and vulnerabilities that make them suitable for various tasks.