Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen resolution (Macbook Pro > HDMI > LG 27UD68P)  (Read 1993 times)

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

Screen resolution (Macbook Pro > HDMI > LG 27UD68P)
    « on: May 31, 2018, 03:47:49 AM »
    Hi,

I've just bought an LG 27UD68P 27" monitor which I'm connecting my MacBook Pro to via an HDMI cable.

When I set the resolution scaling on my MacBook to 4k - 3840 x 2160 the text is tiny. I also have an iMac 27" which runs at 5k - 5120 × 2880 and the text is a size that is perfectly fine to read.

How can the LG 4k monitor text but so small when the iMac monitor at a larger resolution text is bigger?

If I set the resolution on my MacBook to 3008 x 1692, the LG monitor text size is fine and looks about the same as my iMac. Though then I'm not getting the full 4k benefit of the monitor...

I've tried to take some example images so you can see what I mean below. Images were taken on my phone at a hands length away from both screens.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
    • Your everyday nerd.
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Screen resolution (Macbook Pro > HDMI > LG 27UD68P)
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »
    Maybe it is the Zoom you have your MacBook set to on the internet browser? I'm not too familiar with MacOS, but try your zoom settings or if you have Chrome you can make the text itself bigger or smaller. Also, does this just happen in your browser or other places as well?
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 02:24:30 AM »
      Maybe it is the Zoom you have your MacBook set to on the internet browser? I'm not too familiar with MacOS, but try your zoom settings or if you have Chrome you can make the text itself bigger or smaller. Also, does this just happen in your browser or other places as well?

Hi,

It happens out of the browser as well.

Thanks though.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
      • Your everyday nerd.
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 07:30:32 AM »
      OK, since nobody else is currently replying I'll give you this to work with. In your System Preferences, there should be a setting that says something like DPI or something along those lines. The only MacBook I have is the one that is issued by my school, and they have disables most functions like that so people don't mess up their system. Try and see if there is a setting related to that under the display tab.

Happy To Help,
      Anthony

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »
        OK, since nobody else is currently replying I'll give you this to work with. In your System Preferences, there should be a setting that says something like DPI or something along those lines. The only MacBook I have is the one that is issued by my school, and they have disables most functions like that so people don't mess up their system. Try and see if there is a setting related to that under the display tab.

Happy To Help,
        Anthony

Thanks for trying to help Anthony.

I'm pretty sure DPI can only be changed by changing the resolution. I did a little research on this for clarification and this was the most relevant / in depth information I could find http://www.eizoglobal.com/support/compatibility/dpi_scaling_settings_mac_os_x/index.html

It only talks about changing the resolution though in terms of changing the DPI.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
        • Your everyday nerd.
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 06:35:20 PM »
        Wow, that stinks. If you are using your monitor for mainly browsing the web, you can adjust the text size in Chrome. However, if you like your resolution better lower, where you are able to read the text, just leave it that way. I don't think the monitor will mind if you aren't using it's full potential. ;D If you are using for a program that requires that resolution, such as a game, it shouldn't have too much of an effect as the game should have it's own scaling. Also another reason I think your iMac's display looks good, is because those monitors are optimized for the iMac itself, so it has it's own tricks up it's sleeve for text readability.

Have A Great Day!
        Anthony

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 07:02:38 PM »
        I'm not familiar enough with modern OSX versions (My PowerMac G5 is my only OSX experience and I have that on 10.4). I tried searching but couldn't find anything about this being possible and figured I was missing something- it seems like an obvious OS feature so I wasn't about to say it's not possible.

But, that does appear to be the case. Or, at least they don't provide it through the UI. I did find this, which claims to allow selection of  "High DPI" modes. They list weird resolutions but from what I can find they use the native screen resolution and the indicator is how much "real estate" you have equivalent to.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.