Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mysterious laptop keyboard disabling  (Read 1781 times)

lordshowsure

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Mysterious laptop keyboard disabling
    « on: June 02, 2018, 06:45:33 AM »
    hello and good day, all.
    I come here with an enigma and a mystery
    So here's what you need to know: I own this laptop (model Lenovo Y700-15ISK 80NV, ram 8gb, CPU i7). Sometimes, exclusively so far when I play games, the keyboard (inbeded in the laptop, this is a laptop, ok) stops working. The leds (for caps lock for example) are still lit, impossible to turn them off, or to change numlock, no hotkey works, and my game characters are stuck on the last command issued (keep walking left indefinitely).
    What's interesting is also that the mouse works, as long as I don't unplug it and replug it, but that's completely sure.
    Even more interesting, the shutdown button doesn't really work, and the computer cannot shut down by itself.
    When the keyboard stops working like this (or is stuck, is that the word?) mid-game, I manage to return to the desktop by pluging in a phone in the usb, clicking in it's pop-up window, and voila, back to desktop. From there, I shut down the computer the usual way, through the menu, and everything will proceed, except for the shutting down. The screen will go black, as if shutting down, but that's it, everything keeps turning. So I have to kill it manually and I have to press and hold the shutdown button. Finally, most interesting and maybe most relevant: I have to hold the button for an unusually long time (like, 5, 6 seconds?) and it will make a loud "pop" electric noise when shutting down. When I turn the computer back on, everything works, until I'm 10 mins into a game and it all starts over again.

I think there might be something more than the keyboard, as the shutdown button seems unable to do it's simple job either (pressing it once does nothing)

So, do you gentle ladies and men have any idea? I'm close to losing hope.
    Ask me anything if you need precision. All this happened soon after the coputer got backed up after the April 2018 windows 10 update that *censored* a lot laptops. Maybe re-installing the OS did something? Sounds weird.
    Anyway, thanks.
    Talk to you soon

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Mysterious laptop keyboard disabling
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »
    and it will make a loud "pop" electric noise when shutting down.

I cant think of anything that would make a pop like this other than the PC Speaker somehow playing a pop sound when power is killed. I'd look into the source of this noise. If its cause by PC Speaker then placing masking tape over the speaker vent should muffle the pop sound as a way of determining if its the laptops internal speaker making this noise.

To pop on every shutdown is very odd...... Never come across a system with this issue in the 30+ years messing with computers that will turn back on without problems after loud pop noise on every shutdown. Especially for a laptop to have this issue of all computers, a desktop computer would have more that could make a noise like that, and even for a desktop its far from normal when dealing with issues.

Booting this laptop into a different operating system might be helpful to determining if its hardware or driver/software related for the keyboard issue and failed proper shutdown. Linux has live distros that you can install to a USB stick, boot the computer into Linux from this USB stick and then see if the problems occur during operation and shutdown of Linux distro such as Mint or Ubuntu. If the problems happen with a different OS then its a hardware failure of some kind as the most logical cause.

Looking online it looks like this model came out around January 2016 so you might not have a warranty, but if you had a warranty still on the computer, I would use that warranty. Otherwise if your unable to find the source of the loud pop and why the keyboard cuts out, you will then have to bring it to a computer repair shop for diagnostics to be performed to determine where the pop sound is coming from and why keyboard cuts out.