Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Notebook not recognizing some USB devices  (Read 2898 times)

vanfruns

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Notebook not recognizing some USB devices
    « on: June 07, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
    Hello guys, I'm having problems with my Zenbook 3 (Windows 10). The problem is that it doesn't recognize some USB devices or the Ethernet adaptor. I currently plug the mini dock that trasnforms the USB Type-C into a USB 3.0, HDMI and the power plug. Then I plug a USB 3.0 HUB that has 3 USB ports and the ethernet connector. It used to work perfect but I don't know what happened. I plug the mouse and it works good, then I try to plug my 128 GB pendrive and nothings happens and my 1 TB Hard drive and again, nothing happens. When I plug the ethernet cable the lights turn on but it doens't actually works, the notebook doesn't recognize any of those things. I updated all my drivers with "Driver Booster" and the problem hasn't been fixed. Any possible solutions?

This is my pc:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16268 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (428 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., UX390UAK
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Notebook not recognizing some USB devices
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »
    If you backup important data to external hard drive and then use system recovery media, you can restore your OS back to when everything worked state. If everything doesnt work from this point then you have a hardware failure of some kind and its not driver related. If everything works at this point then you know that a microsoft update to driver is to blame.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »
    Another easy thing to try...Go to Device Manager...expand the full branch of USB hubs and ports...remove all of them...
    You will recieve an error message...ignore it...
    Upon re-boot Win will automatically re-install all USB drivers and you should be good to go.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »
    Almost all USB 3.0 hard drives required powered USB 3.x hubs.
    Some USB powered hubs will not recognize USB hard drives.

For all devices, see if Windows is turning off power to them.
    https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/

vanfruns

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »
      Thanks to all for the responses.

I restored my pc with the system recovery media and nothing changed, I still have the same problem.

I tried uninstalling all the USB drivers, turn the pc off and on again and nothing happened.

It used to work in the past, my notebook doesn't even recognize my hard drive even when I plug it directly.

I really don't know what's going on.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 06:26:42 AM »
      Sounds like a hardware failure with the USB daughter board if there is one or the USB BUS Controller then.

Is this laptop still covered by any warranty to get it repaired? If not, then alternative would be to sent it to a computer repair shop to be serviced or replace it with another laptop.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »
      Hi
      Maybe this Windows 10 Update is causing the problems listed here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074588

If you scroll down to Known issues in this update

Later updates were supposed fix this problem. So you may just need to update Windows to the latest build.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
      I restored my pc with the system recovery media and nothing changed, I still have the same problem.

If they set it back to factory build and it still didnt work even before updates.... thats usually a hardware failure as the USB ports worked when they first bought it, and reverting back to that point it still doesnt work.  :-\

Couldn't hurt to try the updates, but my wager is placed on a hardware failure unfortunately.