Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: x86 emulation on ARM. When? - If ever.  (Read 2457 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
x86 emulation on ARM. When? - If ever.
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:13:12 PM »
You have already heard this before. But hey still try.
Yes, they did Windows 10 on ARM, but it was not emulation.
Somebody already went broke trying to do it. You 'all  can not copy Intel micro-code without getting a license. Emulation just does not work.
Anyway, here is another company that wants to kill themselves.

Here's why Cavium sees a healthy future for ARM-powered servers

It is a video.
In a nutshell it says:
Gigabyte and Cavium are offering the H621 2U server platform, which can scale to up to 4 dual-socket ThunderX2 nodes—with the highest tier ThunderX2 SKU at 32 cores and 4 threads per core, this works out to 1024 threads. Each node has 16 DIMM slots, and Cavium touts the system as being able to address up to 4TB of RAM. The H261 is available in two storage configurations, one with 12 3.5" drives, or 24 2.5" drives, both of which support two low profile x16 PCIe 3.0 Slots and 1 x OCP x16 Mezzanine Card.

EDIT: For those who missed it, do a search on:
Intel Files Suit Against Transmeta.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:31:13 PM by Geek-9pm »

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
Re: x86 emulation on ARM. When? - If ever.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:48:13 PM »
I don't see them killing themselves. The product is for a market niche, not to make a windows server or work station. Therefore there is no need to emulate or have an x86 mode. It is, what it is. If you want to run X86 operating systems there is 100's of CPU's and boards designed for and better to the task than a special ARM board. And why would you hobble an ARM CPU with Windows 10 ? When AMD and Intel seem to have the windows market sewn up.   
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 06:00:17 AM »
If looking for small and x86, I bought myself a small tablet the size of a kindle fire that has an Intel processor that has Windows 10 and x86 execution. I have been bringing software over to it and seeing how well or not well it runs to test its limits, but the coolest thing is that I can program programs for x86 execution and now my programs have the portability of a tablet the size of a kindle fire.

Only drawback to the tablet I got with Windows 10 on it is that it only has 32GB storage and came with 8GB free, and it needs a Windows 10 update, but not enough room on the internal storage to perform the update, so not doing anything with it like banking or anything like that. Just keep in the back of my mind that its version stuck for now until I come up with a way to bring it forward without bricking it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:49:32 AM »
Fully updated Win7...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »
The HP Envy x2 must be a collective hallucination, since, apparently, it can't exist.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
It was not my intention to suggest the x86 emulation would soon benefit Windows 10 users right away. The company mentioned in the article is going for lower costs of ownership for Internet servers running low-cost or free Linux base software.

Eve m so, if they pull it off, it could mean better mobile devices sporting all Windows software. I would like that.   ;D

In  commercial work low power consumption is a key objective.  For individuals it means better mobile  gadgets.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »
Eve m so, if they pull it off, it could mean better mobile devices sporting all Windows software. I would like that.   ;D

In  commercial work low power consumption is a key objective.  For individuals it means better mobile  gadgets.
Why do you say "if" they pull it off? There are ARM devices using x86 emulation to run Windows on the market right now.  The Envy x2 uses a Snapdragon 835 SoC. 22 hours battery life, allegedly.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
It's another mis-construed Geek news article...no worries.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »
Patio, if Gigabyte and Cavium cando what they claim, it will become important.

However, I will not hold my breath any longer.  :-X