Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bought the right ink but it says it's not compatible  (Read 1879 times)

pf2222

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Bought the right ink but it says it's not compatible
    « on: June 12, 2018, 05:04:02 AM »
    What is the reason that I can't replace my ink? I bought the correct ones. My printer is written on the box of the inks so what is causing this problem?

It says that it's the wrong ink but it shouldn't be...

My printer is an epson stylus dx4450 and that same printer is written on the box... the "code" of colors is the same :/

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Bought the right ink but it says it's not compatible
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 07:29:21 AM »
    Either the chip that is on the ink cartridge is defective reporting wrong to the printer or the ink is "Non-Genuine" and Epson is trying to keep you from using generic brand or counterfeit ink on it.

I'd bring the ink back to where ever you got it from and tell them there is a problem with it. If the ink is genuine and the seller is genuine then there should be no problems with getting a replacement to try since the ink was defective.

The only other thing that can cause this is that the printer itself has the issue with its interface pins and circuitry which reads the ink cartridge. The compartment where the ink goes in should have metal spring loaded finger contacts that make contact with the circuitry of the ink cartridge, and if there is ink on a contact it could cause troubles. Alcohol on a Q-tip carefully worked on these pins to not bend them but get off any dry ink etc might fix this.

Lastly... Epson has been known to put counters in their printers that kill the printer after a certain count of prints. I had an Epson C60 that they did this to where one day in the middle of printing term papers the printer would print no more. Adding new ink didnt fix it. I ended up buying a cheap Lexmark for $30 at the time to print my term paper and I assumed the Epson simply died. However later I found out that Epson as well as many other companies have "Planned Obsolescence" in the design of their devices so its meant to last only so long and then die so you have to buy a new one. A russian white hat hacker put up a tool to reset the counter back to 0 which made these printers work again, but my Epson C60 was long gone years prior. If you have printed a lot with this and now its done this then Epson may have bricked it on you. When Epson was called out on the internal counter as to why it exists, why make a printer that dies at a specific print count, their answer was that the printer after a certain number of prints, its internal sponge that is used for ink purging and under the printer cartridges when parked idle could be maximum ink holding capacity, and so instead of having a error code or message to inspect or replace this ink sponge, they instead have your printer die. They claimed that the sponge can get to a holding capacity and then ink start to seep out of the printer, so due to this, the best thing to do was to force people to throw their printers away to buy new ones because that made more $CENTS$ to them vs offering a ink sponge replacement for their printers which they dont make money on.  ::)

I have since moved on to Laser printers that have counters, but are able to be reset. The counters are to inform you that the laser printer will need a service kit run through it or pick up rollers and fuser unit inspected by a tech or yourself if savy in this area. Then easy reset of this counter and good to go for another 5000+ prints etc.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »
    Did you get the cartridges from another country? Some (maybe all) Epson cartridges are region-coded. That is, the printer and cartridge have to be purchased in the same region. This is so Epson can make money selling cartridges at a lower price in a low-wage economy like (for example) Indonesia, and a higher price in Australia nearby, without people travelling from the high price country to the lower price one and buying lots of cartridges to take home.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:53:47 PM »
    Learned something new... Thanks for sharing that salmon. Didnt realize they had region set cartridges.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 09:18:11 PM »
    Vert interesting.  8)
    Here are two links that might help a little.  :)
    https://www.consumerreports.org/printers/most-cost-efficient-inkjet-printers/
    All too often, says Rich Sulin, who leads CR’s printer-testing program, shoppers focus on the sticker price alone. But if you don't factor in the cost of ink refills, you're inviting trouble.
    A printer with a low price can balloon in cost—and quickly, too. Consider the Canon Pixma TS8020, which seems like a bargain at $100 but ends up setting you back nearly $600 over two years with typical ink use, according to our estimates.
    Also:
    https://www.4inkjets.com/blog/2017/03/08/budget-friendly-printers-with-cheapest-ink-cartridges/
    After printing for a year, you’ll find that the total cost of printer cartridges you bought has surpassed the price of your printer. In most cases, it doesn’t take long until you’ve spent $100 on ink for a printer you only paid $50 for. Printer manufacturers are notorious for selling their printers cheap because they expect to make their money back in ink and toner sales.

Personally, I have owned many printers over the years and could not keep up with the high service cost of my laser printers. When the go bad, they go very bad.  :'(