Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compatible hard drive and RAM  (Read 1961 times)

sportyabi007

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Compatible hard drive and RAM
    « on: June 17, 2018, 11:30:07 AM »
    Hello,

my hard drive is on its way out and I need some help finding a new one. I'm also looking at some more RAM as I think my laptop needs a bit more to support windows 10 (when bought it came with windows 7). I have a dell inspiron n5010

CPU:   Intel Dual Core i3 Processor
    Memory Type:   PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM  - (320GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M7E HM321HI 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s)
    Standard Memory:   up to 8GB (Currently has 3 gb)

Max Memory:   8GB
    Memory Expansion Slots:   2 SO-DIMM Slots

1. I am currently limited to PC world at the moment as I have a lot of vouchers for here, so if you could give me links of which one's from their site you would recommend, that would be great!

2. I'm also interested in switching to a ssd from my hdd, can i do this easily or is there any motherboard issues or software issue I would need to undertake.

3. I'm not sure what information people would need to help with this issue so please let me know if you need more info and i'll get that for you :) .
    « Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:31:03 PM by sportyabi007 »

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Compatible hard drive and RAM
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:37:09 AM »
    For the hard drive, most any 2.5" SATA laptop drive will work. Keep in mind though that unless you have backup CDs/DVDs, all of your restore information is likely on your current hard drive. Your price per gigabyte is a lot higher with an SSD as well. You'll end up paying twice as much for an SSD and likely won't notice the difference unless you're hardcore into gaming or loading massive spreadsheets. I hope you aren't judging by the rest of the specs.

As for memory, if you're running a 32-bit version of Windows, you're not going to get more than 3GB of memory no matter what you put in. Make sure you install a 64-bit version of Windows if you want to break that 3GB barrier.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Compatible hard drive and RAM
    « Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:13:12 AM »
    Quaxo ! !...Holey Cow !.....long see...no time .
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "