Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Updates  (Read 1865 times)

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows 10 Updates
    « on: June 20, 2018, 08:21:27 AM »
    Sometimes, it will say "Windows 10 needs to install updates". They are never installed because it constantly says I have "low disk space" when in fact, I just used Disk Cleanup. This happens all the time. It will even say "clear disk space" or something like that, which I do and there still not installed.

TRX

Starter

• Experience: Expert
      Re: Windows 10 Updates
      « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »
      I recommend you to disable windows updates. They often ruin more than they help, atleast in my experience.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 06:10:56 PM »
      unlike in previous Windows versions, updates can not be permanently disabled under Win10.
      you can defer, you can set as Metered Account but sadly not stop them indefinitely.
      in one of your other posts I mentioned this technique to do a deeper clean than the default settings used by Windows.

for a more thorough system cleanup, start an elevated command prompt and type cleanmgr c: /sageset:1 and hit Enter.
      tick all the boxes and hit OK.
      now type cleanmgr c: /sagerun:1 and wait for the two pop up boxes to auto-disappear.
      another option is to get CCleaner by Piriform from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »
      You need to get your HDD in order...if you are getting that warning repeatedly then you are low on free space and Disk Cleanup will do little to manage that...

General rule of thumb is Win likes approx 15% free space to operate properly...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "