Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't start on SATA mode IDE or AHCI  (Read 1937 times)

nimrodookie

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer won't start on SATA mode IDE or AHCI
    « on: June 21, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
    I had a computer with windows 8.1 installed but the HDD died. So I bought a new one and installed windows 8.1 with SATA mode IDE. Everything was fine untill I shut it down. When I tired to open it said that there were no bootable device. I tried everything and finally when I changed SATA mode to AHCI it saw the HDD but could not start Windows, so I changed it back to IDE and it started Widows as if nothing had happened.
    Whenever I shut down the computer and try to start it, the same thing happens, and I do all these steps again.

I also tried to install windows 8.1 on AHCI mode, but the same thing happened again. But this time I had to switch to IDE and then AHCI again.

Also, when I pick restart option, not shut down, there is no problem. It restarts just fine.

Do you have any idea why this is happening or how can I fix this?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer won't start on SATA mode IDE or AHCI
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 04:30:39 PM »
    Set BIOS to IDE mode...wipe HDD and do a clean install...
    For some reason BIOS isn't recognising changes made which is 1 of 2 things...not pressing F10 to "save changes and exit"...or CMOS battery may be goin flat.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "