Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Laptop Doesnt Shutdown  (Read 2886 times)

Ayush Krishna Palikhey

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    My Laptop Doesnt Shutdown
    « on: October 19, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »
    My laptop doesnt shutdown
    I have been having a problem with my Dell XPS 13. When i click shut down form the start menu. The laptop screen shuts down but the laptop keeps on running. I have to force shut down by pressing the power key for 10 sec. Other wise it doesnt shut down at all and if i keet it that way it heats up very high. I even restored my laptop to its initial phase but still no hope.  I also have changed my power button function but it didnt work. Please Help...

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My Laptop Doesnt Shutdown
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
    To still have the issue after a factory reset, I'd say its a hardware issue with the main board in how it doesn't go back to soft power state. Maybe a BIOS flash might fix this. But before you do that perform a RAM test with MEMTEST86 running it for at least 4 full tests as for I can seen RAM issues at shutdown cause this sort of behavior when it writes to disk before it completes shutdown and a memory address has an issue causing the shutdown to never fully complete causing a black screen and system still running. Holding power button forcing shutdown still works when the system had this issue via a forced hard shutdown.

kelvinpalmer

Greenhorn
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: My Laptop Doesnt Shutdown
      « Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:26:35 AM »
      If you have UEFI bios then try checking the bios for functions.