Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Both Chrome and Firefox very slow  (Read 4334 times)

splittingeve

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Both Chrome and Firefox very slow
    « on: June 24, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
    Hello.

My speeds when downloading, streaming video, even just loading simple pages, have become terribly as of late - with downloading at just a handful of KB per second usually. Regardless of browser used (I have tried primarily Firefox and Chrome), speeds have become really bad. This probably began about two weeks ago or so.

Mind you, my actual internet speed anytime I measure it is consistently good (consistently over 110 Mbps down and 12 up, which is actually a bit more than I pay for). In fact right now I'm attempting to grab a malware program in the background - I'm getting 10.1 KBs, ridiculous, though my speeds reflect the numbers I just quoted. I did a speed test as I was downloading and got those numbers. Yet the download itself is only KBs per second.

The simplest YouTube video or stream (any source) stutters, loads, plays a bit, loads, etc. The smallest of downloads (say, a Minecraft mod that is only a few dozen mbs) takes several minutes, if it doesn't fail completely, when something ten times as large would have taken seconds recently.

I have cleared the browsers history, cache, etc, gotten rid of all extensions, and finally completely uninstalled and started fresh (with both Chrome and Firefox). No change.

I've run AdAware, Avast, CCleaner, Malware Bytes, Bit Defender, possibly others I'm forgetting just now?...nothing I've run has found *anything* suspicious.

Any idea what has gone wrong, I'd appreciate the help! Thx

specs;
    Asus Z170-A ATX
    i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad
    MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill TridentZ Series DDR4-3200
    SSD - Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB
    HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM
    EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold
    Win10 Home

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Both Chrome and Firefox very slow
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 05:22:37 PM »
    splittingeve,
    All your specs look good. So it would seem  either something has happened to your PC or you provider is not giving you the service you pay for.
    Have you asked any of you neighbors?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 06:00:12 PM »
    How are you checkin your speeds ? ? 

Speedtest.net...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

splittingeve

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 06:43:38 PM »
      How are you checkin your speeds ? ? 

Speedtest.net...

Speedtest, yes. Screen of my results;

splittingeve

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
        splittingeve,
        All your specs look good. So it would seem  either something has happened to your PC or you provider is not giving you the service you pay for.
        Have you asked any of you neighbors?

Thanks, and no I haven't checked with others. But, my speeds are consistently very good - just the function of my browsers is garbage for some reason.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:57:11 PM »
        Makes zero sense...especially after what you have done...re-install...no extensions etc...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
        From dictation.
        My own experience indicates that it has something to do with the time of day and how many other people are using the Internet in this area.
        Also, I have other family members that also use mine Internet to watch videos and play games. It seems this also slows down the Internet.
        As far as I can tell, speed test is not reveal whether or not you're having some local congestion because a lot of people being on the Internet. What I'm trying to say is that I am rather suspicious about the speed tests, I don't think they show how much can just can and coalition is occurring in your normal use.
        Here is a link that expresses some of the doubts I have about local Internet service and how speed is measured.

https://lifehacker.com/top-10-ways-to-deal-with-a-slow-internet-connection-514138634

https://www.wikihow.com/Speed-Up-a-Slow-Internet-Connection

So far, I have not come up with an easy answer. But I do know my Internet speed appears to be better during the early morning hours. But the speed tests do not really sure this, but I can see the difference when I'm trying to watch a video.