Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why is Apple droppingIntell?  (Read 12417 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Why is Apple droppingIntell?
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:57:51 PM »
You have already heard the Cupertino company is dropping Intel chips. Why? Do yum think it is only the wimpy modems Intel makes?

No, it is more . Intel is going too slow. So slow, that if Intel was an automobile,you cooed get out of the car and do a walk around inspection. Intel has not come up with a real new cool idea in years.  :(

Think about it. Just now they got some cool eyeglass with high tech. Yeah, Google did that five years ago. Yawn. (Video below. It will put you to sleep.)
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16966530/intel-vaunt-smart-glasses-announced-ar-video

What do you think?  8)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:18:30 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Why is Apple droppingIntell?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 09:33:02 PM »
Apple is switching from using Intel-based *radio* chips in their iPhones starting in 2020- eg the wireless networking chips.

There are currently no revealed plans to shift from using Intel-based processors for their desktop and laptop systems. Rumours about them doing so dates all the way back to only a few years after they initially switched.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 10:35:28 PM »
In 2020 the Mac PC will not have an Intel or AMD CPU.
It is more than just a a rumor. The question is when and now the reports say 2020 is the date.  Search for:
No Intel Inside Mac 2020.

One of too many....
ARM Mac: Piece of Cake Or Gas Refinery?
by Jean-Louis Gassée
Here we go again, probably “for real” this time. In 2020, Apple is to kick Intel out of its Macintosh line. This could merely be the third processor transition since the Mac’s 1984 birth, but this one will turn out more “interesting” than previous CPU switches.
Not mentioned by most of these stories is the software issue. It is just too hard to make a seamless set of software things for two radically different CPU designs. The ARM design offers wider performance options and a base code  platform. The Intel platform d es very poor in the low-power small space things Apple wants.

But even if that were not so, Apple can have more control of their stuff if they do all the design work in house. ARM lets them do that. You already know that.
For other readers, look over the articles about who the4 ARM company is and why  designers like the options ARM gives them.
https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/a/arm.htm

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 06:50:31 AM »
It is more than just a rumor

The link you've provided specifically says it is a rumour.

2020 [estimated]: A rumor

That it claims that the rumour is "more reliable than previous" doesn't magically make it so. Pretty much every "report" I've found references that there are "rumours" and either outright states or implies that this time it's totally for real guys. Take this one from 2012 for example.

The only things official announced that have come from reliable sources are that Apple is going to be switching from Intel Radio chipsets in their iPhones.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:30:03 PM »
Apple is dropping Intel. That will happen. Lack of confirmation is what it is.
My point is that there is more involved than just the wireless thing. But even in that case, both Apple and Intel did refuse comment until everybody already knows. It was a fact before they confirmed it. The report comes from an internal memo that was leaked. Somebody can call it a rumor, but the memo is real.

But my topic is not about how soon, but about why. From published reports the why question is very interesting. It is because Intel is stuck in low gear.
https://investorplace.com/2018/06/intel-stock-mobile-play/
Despite its rise over the last two years Intel stock still trades well below its year 2000 high of almost $74 per share due to its continuing failures in the mobile market. Apple has been throwing Intel some iPhone modem business but also appears to be moving away from Intel as a Macintosh chip supplier.

Apple’s size now gives it the scale to produce its own chip designs, an enormous comedown from the days in 2008 when Intel contemptuously turned down the chance to make chips for the then-new iPhone.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
Apple is dropping Intel. That will happen. Lack of confirmation is what it is.
"lack of confirmation" makes it a rumour. it is no more valid than the same "rumours" that have been reported as "totally real this time you guys seriously!" going back almost 10 years. All of the ones I found always talk about how there have been rumours for a while, but how this time is totally different. This latest set has no extra ground to stand on. Only the switch from Intel's wireless chipsets have any leg to stand on, but then they are used to make a point that "this time it's totally for real" when discussing rumours about their mainline Laptop and Desktop systems switching processors.

The report comes from an internal memo that was leaked.

In other words, Just like pretty much every single other 'rumour" on this for the last 10 years. Rock solid.

It is because Intel is stuck in low gear.

From an Internal Memo as well, I presume?

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 01:14:28 AM »
A new ultra-fast-wireless Intel chip will not make its way into next-generation Apple iPhones, and will be axed, the chipmaker confirmed in a roundabout way.

"Wireless" They are replacing the wireless chipset in iphones:

Exactly like i said in my first reply:
Quote from: me
Apple is switching from using Intel-based *radio* chips in their iPhones starting in 2020- eg the wireless networking chips.

And not like you stated:

In 2020 the Mac PC will not have an Intel or AMD CPU.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »
BC, You point well made. Published reports focus on the mobile cell phone ships.

In fact Apple will not use Intel chips for mobile radio communication in the iPhone. This has lead to the observation that if Apple does its own mobile cell phone radio chip, then they would also do some other stuff that works better if it is designed together.

Back in April, Bloomberg ’s Alex Webb had talked about Apple’s efforts to get even more profit out of the hardware they sell. He said Apple will not use lintel chips in the Mac in 2020. He did mean the CPU. His thought is the i Apple does a radio chip, they will do a CPU also. Of course, Apple has not confirmed this.

Alex Webb is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist covering Europe's technology, media and communications industries. He previously covered Apple and other technology companies for Bloomberg News in San Francisco.

So that is an opinion by a Bloomberg  columnist. He might be right. Or not. :-\
(He has opinions on other topics also.)