Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random MAC Addresses Appearing on My Network  (Read 2641 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Random MAC Addresses Appearing on My Network
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »
I was troubleshooting a few unrelated things when I noticed in my Windows Explorer, under "Network", random phones appear.

Every time I Refresh, it seems it's a different phone, with a different MAC address.

I disabled MAC filtering on my router a few years ago (I believe on advice from this board, although I will never find that post). But I do have a pretty solid password on my router.

My router's interface is pretty crappy - it actually doesn't show active users, just "approved" users. (It's a Netgear CG3000-DV2).

I am presuming that this is just people in/around my building with WiFi turned on on their phones - the phones are pinging my network, but not actually connecting.

Or do I have a bigger problem?

And if I do, what do I do about it?

Thanks,
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Random MAC Addresses Appearing on My Network
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:57:40 PM »
Phones in the vicinity of the WiFi network wouldn't show up on the network.  Does your machine support Bluetooth?  This sounds like it's probably just picking up phones that have bluetooth turned on and is listed there to give you the option to pair to them.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:27:19 PM »
Hm. I *do* have Bluetooth on. Nothing is showing up now - I'm presuming it spikes when lots of contractors are working on my building. Will play with BT tomorrow when they're here and see what happens.

In the meantime, what are some fun things I can download and torment them with? Surely there's something out there where I can punch in their MAC address and change their homescreen to a a grumpy cat picture or send there Contacts to Russian Facebook or something!
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:44:42 AM »
Surely there's something out there where I can punch in their MAC address and change their homescreen to a a grumpy cat picture or send there Contacts to Russian Facebook or something!

This is analogous to asking if there is something where you can punch in a person's street address and cause all the milk in their refrigerator to spoil.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 10:15:07 AM »
Oh, like Zuckerberg isn't working on that right now.