Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pc gotten slow  (Read 4480 times)

Sebastian

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Pc gotten slow
    « on: July 13, 2018, 02:13:00 PM »
    So i've been using my pc for now 2 years, and the past 3 months its just gotten worse fps wise. It also tends to freeze a lot for 30 - 40 seconds. I've tried many things to solve this problem, ex: resetting the pc, cleaned up, scanned it, etc, but nothing seems to work. I'm assuming my pc has just gotten old, but it doesn't seem very logical to me since i've only used it for 2 years. I know nothing about pc's so i was just wondering if theres anything i could've missed, which would make my pc as good as it was before.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Pc gotten slow
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
    More info on the PC would help..at this point it's all guesswork....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stuart85

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 01:32:37 AM »
      Please Try the following steps:
      Go to internet option and delete cookies and temporary internet files .
      clear cache memory and extend if there is space in your c drive
      defragment  your disk
      if still there is problem then restore with an earlier backup when pc was working good otherwise format you c drive(primary)

Sebastian

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 08:37:13 AM »
        Alright, here is some information about my pc, forgot about that.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8,00 GB (7,46 usable)

System type: 64-bit Operation System, x64-based processor

Computer name: DESKTOP-962IML0

Sebastian

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »
          Please Try the following steps:
          Go to internet option and delete cookies and temporary internet files .
          clear cache memory and extend if there is space in your c drive
          defragment  your disk
          if still there is problem then restore with an earlier backup when pc was working good otherwise format you c drive(primary)

I have tried everything except restoring with an earlier backup, since i don't have an earlier backup. Nothing has worked for me though.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:10:57 PM »
          There's no such thing as a pc just getting old. You said you "scanned" it. With what? Do you have an AV installed?

Run full scans with BOTH your AV and with MalwareBytes
          Boot to safe mode. Does the system run normally in safe mode?

Sebastian

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »
            I've scanned it with AVG and used CCleaner too. Should i install Malwarebytes too?
            And just tried running it in safe mode, but my computer didn't have any internet, and the resolution became all zoomed in and distorted for some reason.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 04:20:33 AM »
            Yes, use MalwareBytes.

And instead of safe mode, try a selective startup: Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a dedicated app such as Autoruns (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Sebastian

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 12:56:47 PM »
              Yes, use MalwareBytes.

And instead of safe mode, try a selective startup: Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a dedicated app such as Autoruns (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Alright, i tried selecting startups, but i couldn't really test what programs that caused the lag, since unchecking them made me lose my internet. I gain my internet back when i have 2 checked and 1 unchecked; "use original boot configuration", and it feels like it runs a little faster, so thats a good start.
              I tried using MalwareBytes too, but it found nothing.

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 02:28:42 PM »
              Is the only problem you are experiencing related to what happens when you are online? Other than that, does the system run smoothly?

Sebastian

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 02:45:24 PM »
                Is the only problem you are experiencing related to what happens when you are online? Other than that, does the system run smoothly?

Yep, it's only when i either have a game running or when i'm on other softwares and websites, like google or youtube.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 03:17:31 PM »
                And then it's just the internet that's slow, not the system - correct?

If so, I've probably taken you down the wrong road. Let's start by updating the driver for your display adapter. Please go to the website of the GPU manufacturer and download and install their latest driver for your system / OS. Also, please look in device driver. Are there any yellow or red symbols?

Sebastian

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 03:35:38 PM »
                  And then it's just the internet that's slow, not the system - correct?

If so, I've probably taken you down the wrong road. Let's start by updating the driver for your display adapter. Please go to the website of the GPU manufacturer and download and install their latest driver for your system / OS. Also, please look in device driver. Are there any yellow or red symbols?

Maybe i've used the wrong word for my problem, lol. By slow i meant fps wise, so its a probably something wrong with the system.

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 04:00:15 PM »
                  Okay - same suggestions as above - please update video driver and check for red or yellow symbols in device mgr.

Sebastian

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »
                    Okay - same suggestions as above - please update video driver and check for red or yellow symbols in device mgr.

Sorry for the long response, was on vacay.
                    Just updated my video driver, and didn't find any red or yellow symbols in the device mgr.