Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU overheating, losing hope  (Read 2513 times)

Cedwin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    CPU overheating, losing hope
    « on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:57 AM »
    I give up. So a few days ago my framerate in games would randomly dip to 5-10 fps for a few seconds, and go back up to normal. This happened with every game. I changed my power settings to be max performance and use 100% at minimum, and it fixed it for a day, but then it started happening again. I scanned my computer with 3 different virus scanners doing a custom full system scan, updated my graphics and audio drivers, and as a last resort I have reset my HP computer back to factory default with the "full clear" option. IT IS STILL doing this. I even reapplied thermal paste and blew the dust out. Even when not in a game, the temp and usage of the CPU skyrockets every 8 or so seconds to 80 degrees Celsius and max output power when in idle. Then it goes back down again.

Am I screwed? Would force shutting off the PC mess something up to cause this problem? I have applied thermal paste and literally wiped the computer back to default and this problem won't go away. Thank you for your response

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: CPU overheating, losing hope
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »
    I would run MemTest on the RAM...let it run an hour.
    Any errors =bad RAM stik.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Cedwin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »
      Memtest complete, no errors

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
      Next step i would take is replace the CPU fan...

Cedwin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 12:27:23 AM »
        Can you say what you're gonna say instead of putting "..."? I think replacing the cpu fan is a bit overkill especially since that can't be the problem. It's working just fine and I have a small fan blowing cold air into the laptop and its doing nothing to fix it

EndOfForever

Rookie

• Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 03:38:05 PM »
        What model laptop are you using? Search google with simply the model name or number (whichever it is) and see if other people have had similar problems with the computer.

Some theories of what it could be:
        • Broken CPU fan.  Don't underestimate the importance of this fan.  Even if its spinning, it may not be spinning fast enough due to wear.
        • Cracked shroud.  Depending on the model computer you are using, a shroud is supposed to deliver heat from a heatsink to outside the case.
        • Overclocked settings/over voltage.  Just because you reset the OS to factory settings doesn't mean the BIOS settings did. Go into your BIOS and find the button that resets itself to factory settings (unless that's what you meant on your first post).
        • The motherboard/CPU is dying.  CPUs when its at the end of its life it can draw more voltage and therefore make more heat.  CPUs (or the motherboard, really) will turn themselves off if it detects that the die is reaching TJmax.

Hope this helps.
        PM me for useless computer facts.

Cedwin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »
          I just reset my BIOS and nothing has changed. I really don't think the CPU fan or any of the other parts being broken is the problem because my laptop is cool to the touch, there is no hot spot at all. Not even a warmth. I guess the motherboard or cpu being old and taking too much voltage could be the problem. Is there any way to check that? I really feel like there is some hidden problem that is really massive but just can't be seen. I mean it doesn't make sense why my CPU would be running at almost 80 degrees celcius when its just on idle at the desktop, and the BIOS and system has been completely reset to factory settings.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »
          Replace the fan.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 08:05:04 AM »
          80 degrees Celsius peak is normal for many cpu's.
          Laptop is probably not up to the game you are playing.

Cedwin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 10:28:43 AM »
            What game am I playing when the computer is idle exactly? How is the fan the problem when the laptop is cold when its running? But still randomly goes up and down like a rollercoaster with temperature and maxes out at 100% usage when playing _____ Minecraft?
            « Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:16:43 PM by patio »

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »
            Keep it clean...we have Members of all ages here...

Cedwin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 11:21:02 PM »
              Well there is no store I can buy a cpu fan/cooling system for this laptop so I think its just busted then. I can't even browse the internet without everything slowing down and overheating

EndOfForever

Rookie

• Yes
              « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 01:28:29 PM »
              I just reset my BIOS and nothing has changed. I really don't think the CPU fan or any of the other parts being broken is the problem because my laptop is cool to the touch, there is no hot spot at all. Not even a warmth. I guess the motherboard or cpu being old and taking too much voltage could be the problem. Is there any way to check that? I really feel like there is some hidden problem that is really massive but just can't be seen. I mean it doesn't make sense why my CPU would be running at almost 80 degrees celcius when its just on idle at the desktop, and the BIOS and system has been completely reset to factory settings.

Had your laptop previously been hot to the touch? If that's the case, then that might be your problem.  Generally, heat is supposed to be transferring to different parts of the chassis through heat pipes and the fan blowing.  There is thermal conductivity issues somewhere down the line.  Like you said, the laptop is old.  Computers just aren't meant to last forever, especially laptops.
              PM me for useless computer facts.

skypuppy

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
                My first two thoughts are: damaged cpu fan, and are you overclocking?  Or do you know?