Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Won't Turn On with Graphics Card, Remote Software Works  (Read 1846 times)

jkcoxson

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hello everyone!

A couple days ago I put together a old new computer from parts I got from my neighbor. He gave me an AMD 4400+ AM2 CPU, an ASUS SLI-M2N68-LA Motherboard, a couple 1GB sticks of RAM and a GeForce 210.

I have assembled computers before, but I am not sure what is wrong with this. When the GPU is plugged into the PCIe slot, and the monitor is plugged into the VGA on the GPU, the monitor just goes into power-saving mode. When I first start the computer, I cannot see the BIOS splash screen. I can use my TeamViewer just fine. That is how I figured out that my computer is still working, just not the display.

When I take out the GPU and plug the monitor into the motherboard slot the computer works fine. I can use my Windows 10 OS fine. When the computer first starts, I can see the BIOS splash screen and access the BIOS. In the BIOS, I have adjusted the Primary Video Adapter to the PCIe x16 slot. I don't even know what to think about this problem. When I go to the NVidia website and download the drivers for my card using TeamViewer, the installer says that there is not any compatible hardware installed. I don't even know what to do.

I installed the NVIDIA drivers by force, making it install anyway using TeamViewer. Probably not the smartest decision, but no going back. Anyway, I tried my monitor and it still won't work. I shut it down and pulled out the GPU. I turned the computer back on, and the Device Manager still said it was the same GPU installed, same location and everything. It leads me to believe that Windows isn't even finding my GPU.

Any help is appreciated!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor Won't Turn On with Graphics Card, Remote Software Works
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:19:44 AM »
    sounds like a dead video card. You should at least see a POST screen even if the drivers are wrong or corrupt. No post screen with video card to me means the video card is likely bad.

Only other thing would be if the video card is going to a resolution higher than the monitor can sync to, but you should still see post info before windows loads even if that was the case I feel as it wont go to that resolution setting until Windows loads.