Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Learn a Spoken Language on your PC.  (Read 2774 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Learn a Spoken Language on your PC.
« on: June 20, 2018, 08:08:41 PM »
While surfing the web, I found this:
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381904,00.asp
The article was published earlier this yer. It reviews a variety of software based language learning programs. Most put the stress on learning to speak, not just read.
There are so many excellent programs that can teach you a language, no matter what your needs or your budget. Sure, Google Translate is getting better all the time, but you just can't rely on it for everything! Here you'll find information about the ten best options for learning a language yourself, including the best free programs, the best for beginners, and the best for those who want to brush up their skills in a particular language.
To my surprise there really is a good free program. In fact, it is very good according to the PC Magazine review.
Duolingo has a wonderful interface that's easy to use. It also presents bite-size learning, making it a great tool for studying in short sessions. You can set a goal for your daily learning schedule, and some gamification aspects encourage you to hit that goal consistently. If you're motivated by leaderboards, points, and in-app rewards, Duolingo will keep you enticed. I highly recommend Duolingo either on its own or as a companion to another language-study program.

At present, Duolingo has programs in 15 languages: Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, French, German, Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, and Welsh. There are another four language-learning courses in beta (Hebrew, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Vietnamese)

Of course, learning to speak a language well is never easy. Except for Children Bother of my children are Bi-Lingual because they grew up in another country before we came back to the USA.

If you can no afford to live abroad for a few years, take a look at new software for learning a language at home.  :)

Salmon Trout

Re: Learn a Spoken Language on your PC.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:36:40 AM »
My wife has been using Duolingo on her phone to help her learn Catalan. She says it's a good way to get started with the speech side of things.

HappyP

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 04:39:41 AM »
    Quite a lot of good ways of teaching the language at this moment. I like the most distant learning of Skype from language speakers. Very well helps to understand the nuances. On this basis, there is even an aggregator of language courses . All teachers are native speakers of the language and teaching are very pleasant and promising.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
    Removed content.... found out that the link was from 2007.

I use to belong to Live Mocha and thought they were back in business for free learning, but Rosetta Stone bought them out and force you to pay now.  ::) For a couple years I was learning German and Russian for free and helping others to learn English. They had where you could read and listen to languages and then submit typed in that language or recorded in your own voice in that language for other peers to reply to with corrections or feedback. Then one day the website went from free to paid only and I was locked out losing contact with many great people from around the world interested in learning other languages.  :'(

Here is the old link of what they use to provide for free: https://freelanguage.org/learn/livemocha-com-live-mocha-social-language-learning-course-and-networking-website

If I need to communicate with someone online who English isn't their native language... Google Translator works awesome and its free to type whatever you need to be said to them in another language and then copy/paste that for them to read in chat etc. Additionally on Second Life there is an addon that can auto translate your language to other languages so you can chat with people who dont understand English because it translates through Google service to whatever language they are using and vice versa, so I can see their response in German and then it populates the chat box with the English conversion.

From google translator below:

Hello World, This is English to German through google translator.

Hallo Welt, Dies ist Englisch zu Deutsch durch Google Übersetzer.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »
    There is a need for more people to learn another language.  :)
    How many languages are spoken in Papua New Guinea?
    The official languages of Papua New Guinea are Tok Pisin, English, and Hiri Motu. In addition, there are over 820 indigenous languages. English is the language spoken within... the government and the education system, but is used by only around 1-2% of the people.
    Reference: answers.com/q/how_many_languages_are_spoken_in_papua_new_guinea

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »
    I just leave Telemundo on TV when i go to sleep...i'll be fluent in Spanish in about another Month...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
     ;D ... Sleep with book under pillow too!  :P

ethanscott

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 11:36:19 PM »
      The language courses have taken a genuine increase and people are more and more interested in learning more languages.
      It makes them feel that they have conquered something great.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »
      Learning a new language is conquering...no matter how it makes them feel...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "