Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to set up windows 10 on an ssd and then use a regular HDD for programs?  (Read 2602 times)

charlie5228

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    I want to set up my pc to boot from my existing SSD in a newer computer and move most of my programs and data to a new 1TB standard HDD.  I need to know how to set it up.
    Thanks in advance

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    what am I missing here....

isn't it as simple as putting that SSD into the other computer, setting it as the primary boot device, and installing Windows onto it?
    or do you want to keep the OS as is which will depend on what sort of installed OS you have, OEM or retail purchased.
    then you want to decide if you just re-image the OS or install from scratch.
    maybe more details will help.  :)

charlie5228

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks for the reply...Yes, if possible I have a digital license for win 10 on the ssd.  I just don't know if I have to install windows on the slave drive for my programs to work on the replacement pc...

EndOfForever

Rookie

• Yes
      If you already have a license on your existing SSD, and all you want to do is transfer programs to the new platter drive, it may be best just to backup your files for your programs, reinstall the the programs onto the platter drive (usually D:/) and then associate the backed-up data to the relevant programs.
      PM me for useless computer facts.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      @charlie,
      program (software) cannot be copied and pasted.
      so anything you want on the platter drive would need to be reinstalled from the original source; CD, web download etc.also, if your Windows OS was purchased from a retail outlet, once the new PC boots up with that SSD from your old PC, there's a good chance Windows will then go "new hardware found please wait" and depending on that may want the OS reinstalled anyway.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      There is no shortcut to doin this...as stated above all your apps would need to be re-installed after the clean Win SSD install is complete...maybe 10  % of them would run without registry pointers bein created...but i doubt even that #...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

charlie5228

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks for the replies... :)
        Just for my info, I need to make sure when I reload my programs to the platter drive that the data files path is correct...How can I make sure?
        Question 2 is a dumb question but;
        when I copy my data, docs and pics from my failing platter drive to put on a 1tb new platter drive, do I need windows on that drive for the programs to work?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        Question # 1...If installed correctly the apps path will be correct...

Question # 2. No...the storage HDD does not need Win installed to access all your data...

charlie5228

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks for all the replies :)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          Good Luck...keep us posted...

P.S.  ...don't introduce the 2nd HDD til the SSD is fully up and runnin with Win.