Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where am I?  (Read 6419 times)

mpekar

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Where am I?
    « on: July 22, 2018, 05:18:35 AM »
    I have 2 computers, an XP computer that I love and use for everything and a Windows 10 computer that I hate and only use for sites that are not happy with XP (rarely). The problem I'm having is that neither computer knows where I am. When I go to Google news the XP has me in Houston TX for local news. And if I do a Google search for the nearest Golden Corral restaurant it gives me a bunch of Houston addresses. On the other hand the Windows 10 computer has me in Manchester VT for everything! When I search for a similar problem on this site the answer seems to be that location is determined by where your ISP is located. Well, both computers use the same ISP. My actual location is a small town in Upstate NY, Greenwich NY.

How do I have my computers know my actual location?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Where am I?
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 11:04:41 AM »
    If you blow away the browser cache does this help any or have you tried using an alternate browser to see if you get same results? And have you always been the owner of these computers or did you get them second hand from some people who may have been in these locations that your inheriting?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Where am I?
    « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
    That is very strange.  :-\

Have you done this on both computers?
    Google: what is my location

Also:
    Do you use the same browser on both machines?
    Do you use the same user name on both machines?
    Do you log into Google with a gmail account?