Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Command Promopt changed everything  (Read 2582 times)

hoyyannet

Topic Starter

• https://www.instagram.com/kingfpt/
  • Experience: Beginner
Command Promopt changed everything
« on: July 28, 2018, 03:47:09 AM »
Hi.. Dunno if anyone encountered the same problem as me. I have a 2TB hard drive by WD. I use it to connect to my Smart TV (watching movies and listening to music) and also onto a MAC at work and Windows Laptop at home. It recently went corrupted and I was unable to access the files on any of the computers plus was unable to see it on the Smart TV. But I partially resolved it with Command Prompt. Now it's working on Windows OS. But still invisible on the Smart TV and MAc. Any ideas?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Command Promopt changed everything
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:17:19 AM »
On a MAC? On a PC? Same drive?   :o

How valuable is your time?
My best advice to you is to get another portable mass storage device and put your movies on the new device.

My reasons? Any attempt to repair a corrupted huge portable HDD used by two disparate systems is a real can of worms.

Here is a general reference about the issue here.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-share-external-hd-mac-windows/
A less obvious, but possibly the best solution to using a hard drive with both Windows and Mac without the use of third-party software would be to create two partitions on the drive, on for Windows and one for Mac. This essentially tricks the computer into thinking there are multiple hard drives connected to the computer at once despite there only being one.
Is that what your are doing?  ???

EDIT: Anybody can now buy a good 256 GB USB thumb drive for under $35. That is enough for lots of standard MP4 movies. Use FAT32.  Forget the portable HDD.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:37:34 AM by Geek-9pm »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 02:34:12 AM »
EDIT: Anybody can now buy a good 256 GB USB thumb drive for under $35.
I thought, "Crazy ol' Geek got his figures wrong again!" so I did a quick Google, and you know what, you're right! Here in the UK I see a 256 GB (USB 3.0!) pen drive for 27.99 UK pounds, that's 36 USD approx. Wow. I was give an unwanted 320 GB hard drive by my boss at work, I was going to buy a USB 3 enclosure for around that price. I think I won't bother.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
I'd be interested what he did with command prompt...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

techbeard

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 06:09:54 AM »
    If you are formatting the USB drive remember to use vFAT rather than FAT32 because FAT32 has a 2GB file size limit.