Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AOL connecting me to AOL Canada - can't get to my email  (Read 6230 times)

02bin3

AOL connecting me to AOL Canada - can't get to my email
« on: August 01, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »
I am at a campground in VT that provides public wifi for the campers.  I've paid the extra money to Symantec for the public wifi connection security.  I have a Windows 10, 64 bit, Home edition and use Firefox.  Last night I signed on and it kept taking me to what I assume is the Canadian version of AOL.  It showed that I had email, however, every time I clicked on the email it sent me to a page that said it didn't recognize that hyperlink, so once more I would go to the address bar and type in:  www.aol.com and again it would take me to the Canadian version.  Now, I did notice that there are some folks here from Canada and I'm wondering if in getting to the Canadian version of AOL, if they are messing up getting to the U.S.A. version of AOL.  If anyone out there has a suggestion as to how I can get to my aol email, that would make me a happy little camper.  I will just have to keep checking back to this page if anyone has a solution as I can't get to my aol email for notifications.  Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: AOL connecting me to AOL Canada - can't get to my email
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 05:43:51 PM »
Try this and see if it works... its a direct path to USA AOL Mail Server

https://mail.aol.com/en-us

If that doesn't work you might be able to get to it through this USA_AOL.txt file which is a current page source from USA server unless the pathing is the same between USA and Canadian AOL Web Servers depending on a region ISP. Download this file and then change the file extension from TXT to HTM and then your browser can launch it.

Also I am in New Hampshire and curious what camp ground is using a Candian ISP connection?

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:36:34 AM »
Hi Dave. 
     Thanks for replying.  I did try that link for aol USA, but it brought me to the all too familiar error page with the weird looking "potato" man.  However, I did notice this time that his message said: " We can’t connect to the server at guce.advertising.com"  I'm still trying to wrap my head around how an AOL address morphed into guce.advertising.com?
     I downloaded the text file, however, I could find now where to change it.  It downloaded as USA_AOL, and when I clicked on it, it opened in notepad and from there I was totally lost as I do not understand a text file at all.
     I did ask my friend who is camping next to me if she was having a problem getting to AOL and she said she wasn't having any problems in that regard.  Sometimes I can get to aol, but for the past few days it has been sporadic.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:14:40 AM »
Download malwarebytes and run that to make sure you dont have a browser hijacker running.

From opening that in notepad if you go to save as and where it shows file extension such as it will probably show as save as type .txt in the drop down there you can select save as type all then in file name field above that type AOL.HTM and click save. Then where this text file was originally opened from such as if you originally had it saved to desktop you should now see a AOL.htm file on desktop to click on.

Sorry for having to go this route of having to convert a txt file to htm file, but Computer Hope blocks out being able to attach HTM or HTML files because someone could place nasty malicious code or redirections in the HTML sending people to bad places etc. No worries with what i shared with you though. I am a long timer here at Computer Hope and wont do anything like that.

At this point though I would focus on what malwarebytes says whether your clean or you have some issues to quarantine. Once issues are quarantined your browser should go back to behaving properly.