Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB DEvice Not Recognised  (Read 2953 times)

aussietaff

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    USB DEvice Not Recognised
    « on: August 11, 2018, 03:31:11 AM »
    I am new to Computer Hope, I realise that there are comments elsewhere about my problem, but I am unable to find the answer.
    I have a Desktop Tower Computer, it is new. The USB connections at the rear of the Tower work fine. At the front there are four USB Connections,
    Two of them are USB 3 and two of them are USB 2.
    The four at the front, always come up with the message "USB Device not Recognised, The last USB Device you connected malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise it".

I have Windows 10 Pro, and I have tried every suggestion that was in Google Search, like Uninstall Drivers, make changes to the Power system etc.
    Nothing seem to make any change to the system.
    I would appreciate any help with this problem, it is driving me crazy.
    Thank you in advance

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: USB DEvice Not Recognised
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 05:46:00 AM »
    If connecting these same devices to the rear ports have no problems, then its likely that the front connectors have a wiring issue along the lines with the USB power pins being insufficient to carry the load of powering a device connected to it. This can happen with cheap computer tower cases where the wiring for the front panel is too light of a gauge to carry the current needs of devices that require USB power.

Is this computer one that someone built and then sold to you in which they cut corners with getting a cheap computer case that has this wiring flaw?

If its a new computer covered by a warranty I would explain to them that there is a wiring issue with the front panel USB ports as for the devices work fine when connected to the rear ports but malfunction on the front ports due to a USB front panel wiring issue.

If the devices act up in both the front and rear ports then its an issue with drivers as the most likely cause, or if an external hard drive can be the cable that powers the external hard drive being insufficient for its power needs as well as could be the power supply of the computer being low for 5V or voltage regulator on the main board passing over a weak 5V power to the USB ports.

Front your description it sounds like these devices work fine when connected in the back of the computer and only act up when plugged into the front, which is a front panel USB wiring issue.

aussietaff

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:56:49 AM »
      Thank you David for your input, I understand what you are saying. I have done more experiments with the USB connections at the front, I have tied the Logitech mose in the front connections and that works fine. I have tried a 3 port USB Hub, and that is OK. My big problem seems to be USB Flash Drives. I have 5 of them and all bring up the "Don't Recognise" message, whether I insert them in USB2 or USB3 slots, however they all work with USB connections at the back.
      I will raise your suggestions on this with the supplier of the unit, and see what they come up with. Thank you for your help. Alfred Jones (aussietaff)

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
      You said a 3 port USB Hub works when connected to a port on front.  If you plug a flash drive into the Hub, does the flash drive work?   If not, what is your basis for saying the USB Hub works?

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »
      and is that USB hub self powered or not?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 06:07:03 PM »
      Betcha a Pint it's an MSI board
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aussietaff

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »
        The  USB Hub is not Powered, The Hub lights up, and when I connect a USB Flash Drive it works, from the Hub, which is connected to the one of the Front USB'S.
        Likewise the Logitech Mouse works from the Front USB's even without going through the Hub. That is directly to a Front USB connection.
        The MB is an ASRock Model H310M-HDV/M.2 (CPUSocket). I am still confused, but, thank you all.

Mark.

Adviser
        • Forum Regular
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 10:16:48 PM »
        a device plugged into the front USB that won't get recognised, does so if plugged into the hub which is connected to the same front port?
        obviously then that hub is acting as some sort of 'filter' that the PC/USB device agrees with.
        and would indicate, as stated in an earlier post, that the front USB ports have some 'weird' wiring (more likely the controller board sitting behind the front panel).

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:02:16 PM »
        ...  obviously then that hub is acting as some sort of 'filter' that the PC/USB device agrees with...
        The HUB  re-generates the data stream.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub
        A bus-powered hub (passive hub) is a hub that draws all its power from the host computer's USB interface. It does not need a separate power connection. However, many devices require more power than this method can provide and will not work in this type of hub. It may be desirable to use a bus-powered hub with self-powered external hard-disk units, as they may not go into sleep mode immediately upon computer shut-down or sleep mode when using a self-powered hub since they will continue to see a power source on the USB ports when using a self-powered hub.
        Sadly  that article calls the USB powered HUB a passive device. Not so. Passive devices are resistors, capacitors and inductors. Transistors are active devices.

The references at the end of the Wikipedia are helpful, if you really need to know.  :)
        EDIT: Here is a good one:
        https://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb1.shtml
        « Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:15:58 PM by Geek-9pm »