Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing onboard graphics  (Read 2440 times)

pogo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Missing onboard graphics
« on: August 11, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
I changed my CPU from an Intel i3 4160 (2 cores 3.6 GHZ, LGA 1150) to an i5 4570S (4 cores 2.9 GHZ, LGA 1150) hoping to improve the gaming graphics.  Now the onboard INTEL 4400 graphics is missing, vanished, gone.  The graphics driver is now a Microsoft generic,   The board is an ECS H81H3 M4 Haswell  mini ATA with 16 GBytes ddr3 memory.  The BIOS reports that the CPU is missing the hyperthreading function.  That is unrelated to the problem, right?  Can anyone help me get my onboard graphics back?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Missing onboard graphics
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »
You'll want to reinstall the Intel Graphics Driver, here.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 05:38:26 AM »
BIOS reporting wrong information might be because it might be a CPU that works, but a newer BIOS flash would correct for this as for the current BIOS version might not have included that specific CPU. Check to see if your BIOS version ( Date ) matches this CPU list. BIOS should be equal to that date or newer. Newer BIOS flash may also have a bug fix for hyperthreading issue. http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Support.aspx?DetailID=1501&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=12&LanID=0

However "ECS" is one of the worst board manufacturers out there. Acer and some other system manufacturers have used their boards because they are low cost maximum margin, but I have seen a high failure rate of that brand board. Given quality issues with ECS brand the hyperthreading missing might be wrong information. When Windows is running look to see if it shows the hyperthreading by the fact that Windows will show the hyperthreaded cores as cores in Task Manager, so a 4 Physical Core CPU with Hyperthreading would show as 8 cores to Windows. If it just shows as 4 cores then Hyperthreading may actually be disabled.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »
The  i5 4570S deson't have hyperthreading.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 02:21:22 PM »
The  i5 4570S deson't have hyperthreading.

Good Catch BC...  I didnt verify that.

pogo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »
Thanks Dave Lembke for confirming the missing HT.  I researched the 4570S on google.  The 4570S is a reject i7 missing the HT function.  I've got the CPU, GPU VIA Sound & Flash drivers updated & the 4570S is a really good CPU.  The comment about the BIOS date is pertinent.  My board has American Megatrends 4.6.5, dated 6/30/2014.  version V01 is available.  According to ECS, to flash a more recent BIOS I must jumper 2 pins & reboot to reset the ME.   My board has only 2 solder balls, no pins.  ECS says, " if the computer is running OK (which mine is), don't mess with the BIOS.  I think I will leave the BIOS as is.  What does "Worst Board there is" mean?  The H81H3-M4 is a Mini ATA board & only handles 8 Gb of memory, has only 1 pci-e slot & 1 pci slot.  It has been reliable for me.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
What does "Worst Board there is" mean?

ECS has been known to manufacture boards that have a high failure rate. Its a gamble whether you got a board that will run fine for the life of your use of this computer or if it will fail sooner than most boards do. I have head friends go cheap and buy ECS boards and they are DOA ( =Dead on Arrival ), or glitch out. However an Acer computer ran for 2 years before the motherboard "an ECS board died" and it didn't die as the result of a lightning strike or anything like that, it just went black screen and Power Supply replaced with known good, RAM replaced with known good, and CPU even replaced with known good after first trying a CMOS reset pointed to the motherboard as dead. Installed a new Gigabyte motherboard into the case and installed CPU and RAM to it and the system was back up and running healthy = ECS Brand Motherboard Failure! I bought an ECS board once for $39.99 thinking maybe I have just seen the troubled ones and I will get lucky and get one that is healthy as for just like reviews for products, people are more prone to creating a review when they want to complain when something doesn't work vs giving praise to their purchase so maybe I have been just seeing the problem boards and basing a bias to the brand on that. The board I bought ran healthy for 6 days and then the system started to randomly reboot itself. Swapped out the power supply and RAM and had it powered off of a healthy battery backup and it continued. All temperatures good all voltages good, ran Memtest86 on it to verify that the RAM was happy with the board for 24 hours and no issues with that, it would run through benchmarks and no problems but it liked to randomly reset itself. I took my parts out of the board and gave it a frizzbee  hard into a brick wall and then threw it into the recycle bin when the business I bought it through would only offer replacement boards vs a refund of $39.99. I wasn't going to waste my time trying board after board when I can just buy a better brand and not have that nonsense.  ;D

That's really odd that the flash process requires jumping any pins. There should be a CMOS reset jumper or button to set values to default, but other than that there shouldn't be any jumping of anything required as flashes to motherboards are software driven. Only thing I can think of is if its a strange write-enable circuit that needs to be jumped for the Flash ROM. I have yet to see a motherboard with the write-enable severed requiring a jumper. But severing the write-enable would be a way of keeping people from flashing the BIOS.

Did you buy this motherboard new or is it one that is in a branded case? Some low cost Branded Computers are sold with disabled / removed -or-expansion crippled features on main boards.

pogo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 05:25:00 PM »
David L.  Thank you for that reply.  You are correct.  I looked at my notes on flashing the BIOS & they say nothing about pins or jumper.  The manual does say  that IF the board has jumper pins, jumper ME then disable it in BIOS. My mistake.
  I bought the ECS board from NewEgg  in early 2016.   The PSU in my old HP computer failed.  I contacted the "computer repairman from *censored*" to get it repaired, but that's another story.  He spec'd out the ECS H81H3 board & an i3 4160 plus new PSU, telling me the old ASUS board was bad.  I later tested it with the new PSU & found it was OK.  Only the PSU had failed.  MY fault really.  I had added sound card, video card and was playing online games with a 250 W PSU.   
  All this is history.  as of now the ECS H81H3 board is going on 2 years old, has survived three different video cards (an NVidia gt 630 and 2 NVidia fakes from china off Ebay) the addition of RAM up to 16 Gb, and now the change to an i5 4570S CPU.  It's running with a 550 W PSU.  Way to much, but no more overload failures.  BTW, I was told by an ECS tech on their FaceBook page that the board would not take 16 GB of RAM.  It's still going.  Didn't help my gaming, tho.  46+% kills.