Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Beeping Keyboard Problem  (Read 3047 times)

Arpit

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Beeping Keyboard Problem
    « on: August 12, 2018, 01:45:05 AM »
    Firstly I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong thread cause I don't know whether the problem is with my Windows or with the Keyboard itself. Here is the description of the problem.

Sometimes while typing I hear a beep sound and the character that I pressed does not appear on the screen. Sometimes this is also accompanied by my keyboarding turning on the "Scroll Lock". I can tell this because the Scroll Lock LED on my keyboard automatically turns on. Sometimes after the beep the keyboard holds down the Shift Key. (not the "Caps Lock" because the Caps Lock LED doesn't turn on and when I type '1' for example the '!' appears on the screen indicating the shift key is automatically being held down even though I didn't press the Shift). This problem sometimes occur frequently and sometimes after interval of several minutes.
    This beeping also happens during video games and the key I press doesn't register.

Also another important background/context thing. When I was using Windows 7 Ultimate Edition - 32 bit I never had this problem. But then I upgraded my RAM and also installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition to make full use of my 6GB RAM(as the 32 bit version can only use/address 4GB RAM). After I installed the 64 bit version I am facing this problem. Also my Sticky Keys are turned Off because I play video games.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Beeping Keyboard Problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 05:27:59 AM »
    USB Keyboards are cheap ... I'd try a different keyboard if you don't already have one to test this issue with. You might find that the issue is the keyboard itself. Walmart for example has a USB keyboard for around $14.96 as well as some nicer gaming keyboards with backlit keys. Myself I just use a standard keyboard I don't need lit up keys because I type and don't look down when typing.  ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »
    I beg to differ. Never have I ever had a keyboard do that, even the most ragged beaut up dirty keyboard. The beeps and the lights are controlled by the software, they are not hardware dependent.  The keys of the keyboard do not directly control the lights.**

Also, the OP said "..When I was using Windows 7 Ultimate Edition - 32 bit I never had this problem. But then I upgraded my RAM .."

It is the RAM. Go back to the original RAM.

** To prove this yourself, take any old keyboard and plug into your USB port on the front. After a few seconds Windows will let t you used the Num Lock and Cpas Lock keys. The lamps are software controlled.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »
     :-[ Geek is correct... And I shouldn't comment on stuff here with someone talking in my ear distracting me as is what happened this morning with coworker blabbing. Multitasking I fumbled this one and didnt see the part about the RAM upgrade.

I suggest Running MEMTEST86 and see which RAM stick is acting up! *Also if you have mixed brand or speed RAM it can cause issues too such as 3 x 2GB sticks or a 2GB and 4GB stick that dont play well together. Memtest86 should show the issue.