Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: When I turn PC on nothing loads, monitor stays black...  (Read 2571 times)

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Experienced
    When I turn PC on nothing loads, monitor stays black...
    « on: August 21, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »
    I had just attempted to use an Acer desktop USB Recovery drive, unsuccessfully.
    Then even though I had set up the booting order to start from another USB drive with Linux, it would read the USB drive, but wouldn't load it. Instead it would go back to the Acer Recovery drive files, and try to run that again, as if it had kept that in the HD. Oh sorry, I was using my USB Acer Recovery drive to reinstall Win10 by the way.
    Now it's even worst because it won't even load anything at all, not even BIOS! In fact the monitor is just plain black. I can see the pc is on, but that's it.

I suspect the Acer desktop USB Recovery drive didn't work because it said that a part was missing, something like that. I guess since I changed the order of the drives when I introduced the SSD drive, the recovery process was expecting to find a different configuration.
    What now?

Should I remove the SSD drive and see what gives?

Thanks guys

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: When I turn PC on nothing loads, monitor stays black...
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:30:04 AM »
    I'll bet you a Pint it sent the recovery files to the SSD...it shouldn't have been connected til the PC was runnin proper.

Remove it and start over.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 08:43:11 PM »
      patio,
      That would be great! I had been afraid that it had erased my HD.
      I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch patio :)

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
        So, removing the SSD did help to regain access to the BIOS and somewhat control what it boots on.
        It still refuses to boot from my Linux Live USB drive. Instead it continues loading the previous Recovery process.
        However, it works to run the Windows 10 installer in the USB drive I made (go figure!). I have not run it because I still want to be able to see the contents of this HD, I am hoping it didn't erase it.
        Just in case there's something wrong with my Linux USB drive, I am about to make another one to try. If that still doesn't succeed to boot from, I don't know what can I do to check the HD contents. Maybe I can bring that HD to my older pc.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »
        I had just attempted to use an Acer desktop USB Recovery drive, unsuccessfully....
        Why would you want to use this junk?
        For backup & recovery use Macrium Reflect Free.