Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: locked drive, missing files on windows 10, acer laptop  (Read 2589 times)

asterose

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    locked drive, missing files on windows 10, acer laptop
    « on: August 21, 2018, 06:52:35 PM »

I lost my hard drive due to it being locked.  I tried refreshing it, but it couldn't because it was locked.  Could not access it with Linux, either. Then I ran chkdsk, and after 12 hours all of my personal files were missing as well as anything in Windows.  Then I could access the drive, and found some files in windows\found.000, but they were mostly unrecognizable.  There were ~27,000 files with weird filenames, like "File######.chk"  and 7,000 directories not hidden that contained files in them, but none of the original directory names, just file names within them, but no original structure.  Is there a way to fix this or not?  If not, I need to at least get back some of the files, but that requires a great deal of time and fishing.  Can I download a functioning copy of Windows 10 in the interim and boot from a USB drive?  I have DOS access, but it cannot access the Internet.  Is there another way other than having to log in as Administrator?  I use the libraries computers and they will not let you do that.  Help!

w1lson

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: locked drive, missing files on windows 10, acer laptop
      « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 02:40:53 AM »
      cheers
      a jet writers of technology and Steve Jobs essay sample