Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unifont - how to force private characters displaying?  (Read 2506 times)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Unifont - how to force private characters displaying?
    « on: August 22, 2018, 04:41:26 PM »
    Hi!

I'm using Private Character Editor in Windows (known also as EUDCEDIT).
    I created in years large collection of private characters.
    Now I downloaded Unifont - purpose: Most wide range of glyphs in Unicode - maximal Unicode characters count.
    I set it in Notepad as default and then opened some files using my private characters...

Problem - my characters were replaced by Unicode symbols...
    This font has unbelievable Unicode characters count and it is great to use, but:
    How to force to display private characters over the Unicode characters at their place in Unicode table?
    Other fonts have characters at private characters places in table hidden and overrided by private chars.

Really I didn't knew where to post this Q, but on this forum I found always somebody which help me, so I decided to post it here.
    Thank you all for each help, reply or comments.
    Miro

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Unifont - how to force private characters displaying?
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »
    MIRKOSOFT,
    To work with custom fonts you must consider using something better than notepad.

Notepad is a very plain text editor with very limited ability of present atrative fonts. You need to use a program for word processing, such as Microsoft Word word or some other product.

General reference:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode

Unicode is a computing industry standard for the consistent encoding, representation, and handling of text expressed in most of the world's writing systems. The standard is maintained by the Unicode Consortium, and as of June 2018 the most recent version, Unicode 11.0, contains a repertoire of 137,439 characters covering 146 modern and historic scripts, as well as multiple symbol sets and emoji. The character repertoire of the Unicode Standard is synchronized with ISO/IEC 10646, and both are code-for-code identical.

Here in the USA and is many parts of Europe the standard is ASCII.  But Unicode is needed for languages that do not use a Roman (Latin)  font set.
    I believe you must also have a version of Windows that supports Unicode. Yes, you can force Unicode is Windows, but you really ought to have a version that directly supports Unicode.

Thia was reported two years  ago:
    Microsoft made a version of Windows 10 for the Chinese government
    But this was not just because of Unicode. In fact, there are Asian versions of Windows that use Unicode for Asian users.

This link is more like what you need:
    http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/utilities_editors.html
    The above indicates you can do Unicode with a western version of Windows, but only inside the programs listed.

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 04:49:20 PM »
      We maybe understand us not correctly.

Private characters can be linked with specified font or all fonts.
      When I set in Notepad Unicode encoding it allows me display all characters in selected font and private characters created in EUDCEDIT from file EUDC.TTE replacing characters in selected font in Notepad.

Unifont is first font which allows not this replacing - so how to set private characters over font characters at their positions in character table?

Private characters are displayed in each font selected in Notepad, but outside my Windows or Windows where is not imported EUDCEDIT.TTE file they're shown not.
      No one font can override private characters, but Unifont is only one found yet.

Miro

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »
      MIRKOSOFT,
      Yes, I did not understand you intention.

Is this to be for a presentation for other people? If so, what method are you going to send it tooter people? As a printed document on paper? Or as a e-mail attachment?

The most idly used method to transmit documents electronically is PDF. There are many PDF editors and you can even create PDF as a surrogate printer device.

Some PDF tools lets you create custom fonts for PDF.

This topic is above my head. Maybe others here and some ideas .

This link might be relevant:
      https://forums.adobe.com/thread/285484
      He did not get a clear answer. But you can search for ways it port custom fonts into PDF, but PDF is not Unicode.
      This might be a better answer:
      https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2373870
      That is the best I can do for you.  :)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 07:03:16 PM »
        It is not for sharing or so - my personal use only...

I named it correctly - private characters - only use on my computer(s).

But Unifont AFAIK has largest character count known, and I need to force private characters display instead Unicode characters at private characters positions.
        I created in years >400 characters and only their positions I need to override.

Miro