Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk Cleanup - Freed up 23GB of Hard Drive on Win 10 and 14GB on Win 7  (Read 2324 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Just wanted to share this with everyone in case you overlook this feature in Windows. My one system was running low on free Hard Drive space and I saw that Windows 10 was almost 50GB in size. I went looking to see what I can get rid of that might not be necessary and found the Disk Cleanup utility built into Windows 10 and with everything checked including system files, I was able to get 23GB of space back.

Checked on my Windows 7 system and found that 14GB of space was able to be freed up on that which gave me back some of my SSD space.

So figured I'd share here so that people get a reminder of a utility they can use to get drive space back, whether your running low on space like I was or just want to do some trash cleanup in the system getting rid of what may not be necessary. You can check and uncheck boxes to what you want to delete and keep. I deleted everything i could shed because no important data to keep from those locations on my system.

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Disk Cleanup - Freed up 23GB of Hard Drive on Win 10 and 14GB on Win 7
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 06:05:42 PM »
with the demise of CCleaner and the joke that was v5.45 and all the bugs with the last few releases, a lot of people are now realising the inbuilt cleanmgr is just as good.

I use the /sageset switch to clean all categories except old Windows files and another to just do those Windows files.
so cleanmgr /sagerun:1 for general cleaning and cleanmgr /sagerun:666 to clean leftover windows install files

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »
How many trojans you figure they planted ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:29:07 AM »
you mean trojans in CCleaner? - who knows, but the heartbeat monitoring issue was not a good look and user trust in Piriform/Avast is now more shot than ever.
not many happy campers on the forum. 8)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:25:26 AM »
 ;D ... I thought they resolved the issue with CCleaner with newer version after correcting for the problems. "On 13 September, Piriform released CCleaner 5.34 and CCleaner Cloud 1.07.3191 that did not contain the malicious code."

I've only used this CCleaner once since this security issue hit the spotlight for using it as a Duplicate File Finder. But then when done using it I uninstalled it because its best not not having it hanging around as a potential target. Although in the security spotlight I would think that it would be pretty hard to sneak anything through now that many eyes are watching it closely vs prior when it was too trusted passively.

Security flaws
In September 2017, CCleaner v5.33 (32-bit Windows) was compromised with the Floxif trojan that could install a backdoor, enabling remote access of 2.27 million[23] infected machines.[24][25] Of these 2.27 million PCs, 40 received a second-stage payload that appears to have targeted technology companies such as Samsung, Intel, and VMWare.[26] On 13 September, Piriform released CCleaner 5.34 and CCleaner Cloud 1.07.3191 that did not contain the malicious code.[27] On July 24th 2018, the CIA released a report titled "Foreign Economic Espionage in Cyberspace" where it indicated that China used CCleaner in order to use it as a back door to companies in the United States.

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 04:42:06 PM »
yeah the V5.33 malware issue is long resolved, but there have been many other versions with issues since.
the latest, v5.45 (since pulled) had a 'phone home' feature that couldn't be stopped to collect anonymous analytical data.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 07:31:51 PM »
Same tool that was discovered in AVG...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage