Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IPX problem  (Read 2932 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    IPX problem
    « on: August 25, 2018, 07:43:53 AM »
    Last night I was trying to get the old DOS version of Doom to connect for multiplayer.  I was using my laptop to run DOSBox and started an IPX server.  I was able to get my Windows XP computer to run DOSBox and connect to it and started DM.exe and did what was needed.  I then went to my computer with Windows 98 and MS-DOS 7.10, and had an ethernet card with IPX and TCP/IP capability.  I installed the IPX drivers in DOS and restarted.  Problem is that the computer could not detect an IPX server despite DOSBox running one on another PC and I could not get Doom to connect from the old computer.  How do I get this to work?  I can do it with newer computers running DOSBox, but the one computer with the real DOS won't connect.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: IPX problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:47:49 PM »
    DOSBox *emulates* IPX. As far as DOS software running within it is concerned, it is IPX. but externally, it is actually tunneled through either TCP/IP or UDP/IP.

This is why your "real" DOS system doesn't see it, since DOSBox is not actually using IPX externally.

DOSBox doesn't support IPX natively. There are supposedly some forked builds that add "real" IPX, but I couldn't find any Active links to them.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.