Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any phone can be eavesdropped?  (Read 5179 times)

longshinshen

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Any phone can be eavesdropped?
    « on: September 02, 2018, 06:37:48 AM »
    Phone waves can be eavesdropped? just like radios can hear telephone waves.
    When there is a signal to the phone, the loudspeaker of the computer can hear the beeps and I often get it as a message or a call. But when there were beeps that I didn't see my phone react, it means that something has been sent to my phone!
    I do not know how there are those who can steal phone waves?!
    I heard that just using a phone with no data storage will not be caught eavesdropping or hacking because it can not be installed any software.
    Can someone explain to me the above questions

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Any phone can be eavesdropped?
    « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:02:06 AM »
    Any means of electronic communications can be listened to given the proper tapping or listening method to record or listen! However cryptic communications would need to be decrypted.

At my job we have special radios that jump frequencies following an algorithm synchronized all jumping at the same time and it allows communication that is scattered on the spectrum of radio waves vs holding to a specific frequency. The radios cost $10,000 USD each and are military grade radios. My job doesn't really need that level of protection from eavesdroppers but it was part of a mandated requirement for government communications and I work as a government employee. The good thing now though is that we no longer hear the call to rooms for towels by the hotel near by for housekeeping which was rather entertaining at times with our older radios we had prior that happened to be the same frequency as a hotel down the road that when the radio waves were deflected just right we would get cross talk with them. No more ordering stuff to random room numbers... I wonder how many people wondered who ordered extra soap to their rooms.   ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:54:58 AM »
    What DaveLembke said is right.

Just don't say anything over the phone you do not want others to hear.

If you use a device that makes speech unintelligible, it will be noticed nd draw the attention of those who monitor phone calls.

Here is an item from the BBC:
    Is your smartphone listening to you?
    Take care!  ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »
    Just don't say anything over the phone you do not want others to hear.

Like when you're in a crowded bus?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 01:14:26 PM »
    As the article at your link states,

"Google said it "categorically" does not use what it calls "utterances" - the background sounds before a person says, "OK Google" to activate the voice recognition - for advertising or any other purpose. It also said it does not share audio acquired in that way with third parties.

Its listening abilities only extend to activating its voice services, a spokesperson said."
    So, I'm not going to start powering off my phone except with actually using it, based on a notion that everything said within my phone's hearing distance is being listened to.  I might prefer going back to a basic cell phone rather than accept such inconvenience with my smartphone. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »
    Just because yer paranoid does not mean they ain't out to get you...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 01:39:30 PM »
    I bet there are law breakers who say "they caught me cos my phone was listening" when really they have built up a profile that led law-enforcement to them.

longshinshen

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
      Then I have more problems to ask.
      I only use phones that can make calls and text messages but it automatically activates calls to numbers that I have ever contacted.
      I have been so many times. Did someone activate something to break my cellphone?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 03:10:40 PM »
      Sigh.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 04:47:16 PM »
      Do you carry your phone in a pocket?  Do these "automatic" calls happen when you're carrying your phone this way?   Unintended calls can be the result of "pocket dialing".   Read the article; it contains tips for avoiding the problem.

longshinshen

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »
        Sigh.
        ???
        Then I will tell the story like this.
        The new phone numbers I ever contacted. My phone suddenly dialed their number and they were sleeping at night. It does not happen once but many times and makes them angry.
        If I had dreamed of sleeping or touching an automated call, it would not have happened so many times
        Another thing is that the sound is like radio waves and sometimes hear the voice of another person. You talk to a person and add a third person you do not know where.
        There must be a device that can impact the phone wave without installing anything?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »
        longshinshen,
        Where do you live?
        Who is the service company?

There term "Crosstalk" is associated with older analog forms of communication.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosstalk

But "Digital Crosswalk"  does not show similar defects. It is very different. Therefor,if you hear sounds you can identify as voices, it has to be some form for acoustical  or analog crosstalk.

In other words you have a very old and primitive telephone service.
        You need to get a real digital cellphone service.

longshinshen

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 07:59:55 AM »
          I have heard that just using old phones you will not be eavesdropping. If you have a phone with no storage, you do not have spyware installed.
          Like some eavesdropping services, how can they eavesdrop on you?
          I used to watch news that a group was pretending to be a government person and asked the victim to transfer money to that account. What did they do to lure the victim into a trap? Because not all the victims are silly.
          I want to know about eavesdropping and how to avoid it and it's best to ask at an online forum. ???

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 08:43:02 AM »
          I have heard that just using old phones you will not be eavesdropping. If you have a phone with no storage, you do not have spyware installed.
          Like some eavesdropping services, how can they eavesdrop on you?

Short answer to this is that you could have a very primitive phone, but the telephone provider records all calls. Over a period of time all recordings are overwritten. They started this initially for 911 but then expanded on this some for investigatory purposes into criminal or terrorist activities. This is how the USA is, but elsewhere in other countries the recordings may not be overwritten as often and eavesdropping could be without a court order. In the USA there is behind the scenes paperwork that has to be met in order for FBI to gain access to communication info. No form of communications is completely secure from being recorded unless physically isolated from providers of communications and range limited or encrypted private communications which could be recorded but unless someone has a means of decrypting the recorded scrambled message its worthless.

I used to watch news that a group was pretending to be a government person and asked the victim to transfer money to that account. What did they do to lure the victim into a trap? Because not all the victims are silly.
          They gather info on their targets such as names of family members etc and use that as a tool against these people. The uneducated and gullible get taken for a ride. Additionally the demands in some cases should raise a red flag such as payment in prepaid cards for something.

I want to know about eavesdropping and how to avoid it and it's best to ask at an online forum.
          If you are chatting about stuff that isnt illegal then there is no fear. Using a technology that is mass produced and a provider especially involved will always have eavesdropping recording of all communications at that provider. If you get a phone call for any reason where they want money hang up on them and wait for a bill in the mail and then check the return address on google to see if its the correct address to that identity. As long as you pay your bills on time etc I very much doubt you will see an increase in money requests by mail.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 04:40:25 PM »
          Much ado about nothing...

If it continues to *censored* = dial i'd get a new phone...just sayin...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 04:45:00 PM »
          If a phone is constantly *censored*-dialing, it is the anus... I mean, onus... of the user to revise how they store their phone.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »
          Currently in line for 2 consecutive Quote of the Month winners.... 8)

longshinshen

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 08:50:30 AM »
            Thank you all for everything if you know more about what let me know more about it.

longshinshen

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »
              I use the android phone and connect to wifi mordem to go online.
              Suddenly I was unable to go to the web.
              I used 360 security to test the wifi connection then the result was not secure.
              but when i turned off wifi mordem and opened after >5s then when i checked it was safe.
              something must have intruded mordem wifi?
              Actually I have many questions because sometimes you do not know what people around you will become... :(

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »
              Okay, enough. Thread locked.