Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best USA cities for job in 2018  (Read 9836 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Best USA cities for job in 2018
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »
This link might be of interest to USA residents.

The 10 best cities for job seekers in 2018

(The site above is part of CNBC.)

What might be a surprise is Minneapolis, Minnesota.   :o
That city is number 6 in the list.   
Job market favorability ranking: 3
Salary ranking: 17
Work-life balance ranking: 21
Job security and advancement ranking: 26
Overall score: 55.4
Minneapolis, Minnesota was the only city in the Midwest to earn a spot in the top 10. Indeed found that Minneapolis had the third best job market favorability in the country, thanks to hiring from employers like 3M, Target and Allina Health Systems.

What is no surprise is California is the favored state.   8)

Nevertheless, I am thinking about leaving California.   :-*
I am too old to work.  :-[
And the cost of liking is greater than my social security income.  :'(

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Best USA cities for job in 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 06:23:02 AM »
We moved 2 1/2 years ago from the #1 listed job market to the #7 listed market.  San Jose is great for finding a job but it's too crowded and housing costs are thru the roof!

We moved where we are now because I retired and it was less expensive to live here.  However, I went back to work about 18 months ago because I was bored with retirement.  However, I'm thinking I may re-retire in a year or less. 

Cost of Living in the US is greater than anyone's SSI which is why I decided at a very young age not to be totally reliant on SSI for my retirement income.  I watched my dad struggle and require financial help from my sister and I to get by in his retirement.  SSI may stretch further in another state but it still won't make for a comfortable retirement.

excitegamer

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:09:46 AM »
how about residing in New Jersey and doing job in New York. I have heard that many people in the US do that. The commuting time from Newyork to New Jersey it like 1:45 to 2 hours and New Jersey is cheap as compared to Newyork 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »
Ummm...Jersey ain't cheap.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 06:48:40 AM »
Lots of people use long commutes to be able to afford a place to live on whatever salary they earn.  However, a commute that is 1.5 - 2 hours in each direction adds a significant amount of time to the work day.

I've been fortunate in my work career that I've been able to keep my commute to under 1 hour in each direction.  I also modified my start/stop times, if possible, in order to avoid peak commute times when traffic was heaviest.  Working from home is also be a good way to be able to
live somewhere affordable but work for a company in a place where salaries are higher. 

joeymakesmusic

Greenhorn
    • MIDINation
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 01:07:11 AM »
I moved to San Diego two years back and absolutely love it here. Great weather, good jobs, and lots of things to do both in and around the city.

Google is also apparently building a new San Diego campus which likely means that there will be a ton of new tech jobs coming to the city too, plus the attendant economy to support these highly paid tech workers. I'd love to see it become some sort of pseudo silicon valley.

Checkout my research on musician salaries here: MIDINation