Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC overheated and now won't power on  (Read 2008 times)

Nuuki

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    PC overheated and now won't power on
    « on: September 05, 2018, 09:20:34 AM »
    First time posting - looking for some advice.

I was gaming on my PC, when the power went. When I checked it I realised that it had gotten very hot without me noticing - its a slimline case (mini ITX based) without case fans, and the cooling vents had gotten covered up - it was burning hot to the touch.

I left it to cool down fully and tried powering it back up - nothing. No obvious activity from the system at all.

I tried another PSU, thinking that was probably the most likely culprit, but no dice. I've tested both the old and new PSUs by using the paperclip test and then checking the voltage on some of the pins. Both check out fine.

I'm assuming the next most likely culprit is the motherboard. If so then I'll obviously need to replace it, but its a tight case and stripping it out and refitting a new board is going to be quite a hassle, so I'm wondering if there are any other checks I should do first to confirm it more firmly before I go ahead.

As an added annoyance, when I was testing the PSUs and connected the new one up I did get a brief sign of life - the CPU fan fired up and I got a power light on the case, but since then I've not been able to replicate it, despite trying both PSU, with different cables etc. I checked that the power button jumpers were properly connected to the board and all looked good.

Not sure what else to try - any ideas, or should I just bite the bullet and replace the mobo?

Thanks in advance for any ideas  :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: PC overheated and now won't power on
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »
    You sure all the power connectors were in place with the swapped PSU ? ?

Sometimes when frustrated we ignore the obvious...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Nuuki

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »
      Yes I reconnected the cables several times, trying combinations of PSU, motherboard power cable and mains cable - no change. I take the point that its very easy for something to fall off or become loose, so methodical double checking is the order of the day :-)

I ended up replacing the motherboard and that did indeed resolve the issue. Slightly surprised that it didn't shut itself down rather than break due to overheating, but at least its fixed now.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
      Good news
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "