Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to know the failing of SMPS in a computer  (Read 1862 times)

jraju

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How to know the failing of SMPS in a computer
    « on: September 05, 2018, 10:12:14 PM »
    Hi, I presume that it is correct that SMPS supplyl main power to the mother board and then it allots to various devices in the computer, such as hard drive cd drive graphics etc with the four main wires onnecting . When i experienced sudden black screen of death while browsing, i thought corrupted hard disk and connection to hdd failure. But it turns out to be low votage to hdd from smps. I immediately replaced he smps.Normally one would have replaced the hard drive or would be doing hardware diagnostics.
    Ok, my query is, how to know the smps is failing to give required power to motherboard, which in turn affects the connected devices such has hard drive.
    I know that there is no software to know the voltage distribution to devices from smps or motherboard.
    one cannot open the box to test each time , if the power it receives is correct.
    What is the best one can do to best monitor the power to devices.
    In one of your theread i come across expert giving ideas to check amps that the device gets and voltage is not the factor.. i will try to give the link in my next post. When minute details could be had from the mother board, why not this?
    Or the smps directly supplies power to the hard disk , and not from motherbpard? please expert detailed reply
    https://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=140043.0
    reoly no.03 in the link, please