Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bluetooth adapter not detected on PC no matter what!!!  (Read 5639 times)

PoLoBreak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Bluetooth adapter not detected on PC no matter what!!!
    « on: September 09, 2018, 02:42:23 AM »
    My Bluetooth dongle randomly stopped getting detected on my PC and I can't use Bluetooth on my PC. It was working fine before that.

Here's what I know/tried:

1. Dongle is fine because it works on other computers.

2. When I run troubleshoot with the dongle plugged in: https://imgur.com/s3Tt5wr

3. Bluetooth driver doesn't appear in device manager, so I don't think it's a driver problem since the bluetooth would appear if the dongle is detected: https://imgur.com/OF8bZaH

4. I have tried many different usb ports and none of them work. I hear the sound of the device being plugged in though.

5. In Bluetooth under settings the bluetooth adapter is called CSR Reference Endpoint under "Other devices". Usually it's called generic bluetooth radio when its functioning properly iirc https://imgur.com/f38Ctzs

6. In CSR reference endpoint's events, it says the device is deleted. When it's functioning in another pc the event log says the driver is installed or something https://imgur.com/GyurzEB

7. I have tried installing bluetooth drivers from official intel site and it doesn't work. I have tried unhiding the blueooth in device manager and updating the driver from there as well, and it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Bluetooth adapter not detected on PC no matter what!!!
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »
    Please supply name and model of the Bluetooth adapter.
    Doses that adapter work on another PC?
    Have  you ever use any Bluetooth on this PC?
    Do you have another Bluetooth adapter?

EDIT: If you are in a urban area, go to town and buy a new Bluetooth adapter.
    Like the one sold in Walmart for about $10.
    « Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:47:27 PM by Geek-9pm »

PoLoBreak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
      Please supply name and model of the Bluetooth adapter.
      Doses that adapter work on another PC?
      Have  you ever use any Bluetooth on this PC?
      Do you have another Bluetooth adapter?

EDIT: If you are in a urban area, go to town and buy a new Bluetooth adapter.
      Like the one sold in Walmart for about $10.

The model is 8ware Mini USB Bluetooth Adapter Version 4.0
      Yes it works on another PC
      Yes the my bluetooth adapter was working fine on my pc just a few days ago
      I'm going to borrow someone's adapter and try it later today and see how it goes.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »
      It might be that the issue is software. 
      But software experimentation can be very time-consuming and you can get into a bad place by removing software that was not the cause of the problem. That is the resown to first try substitution of hardware that is easy to install.  :)

EDIT:
      Here is a screenshot of what my Blue Tooth looks link in device manager and in the toolbar. I did not ha veto install any drivers at all. It is a plain USB Bluetooth dongle.
      « Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:18:29 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »
      Are the OS's the same on the OC it works on or not ? ?...sounds like a driver issue to me

Pretty much the cheapest POS i;ve ever seen...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

PoLoBreak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
        @Geek I think I'm just going to try another, worse case scenrio I go and buy a new one.

@patio I don't know what OC is. OS is windows 10. The adapter was working fine a few days ago, so not a compatibility issue if that's what you're asking.

PoLoBreak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:14:49 AM »
          So I tried another dongle and it didn't work so that means my Pc can't recognise bluetooth adapters in general. Maybe I need to begrudgingly reinstall windows as a last resort?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »
          Yes, as a last resort. There are some other things you can do.
          One is to create another user account with administrator privilege.
          The reboot, enter new account, plug in the adapter and and.see if windows finds it.

Another option is to boot your PC from a "Live" CD or USB. Such as Ubuntu Linux. Or a similar Linux distro in the demo or "live' mode. Often Linux will recognize a USB adapter and install a generic program to make it work.

You may ha a serious hardware failure. Most likely would be the chip that does the USB stuff. It is not a replaceable chip, it is soldered in on the motherboard. You hope that is not the issue. But you do not have to re install your OS to find out.

You must decide how much time you want to put into this. How important is the Bluetooth to you? Do you need it? Is this for a wireless microphone?

PoLoBreak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 01:54:38 AM »
            I tried making a new account and it didn't fix it. I think I'm just going to do the reinstall. Thanks for your help Geek-9pm

PoLoBreak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 04:29:20 AM »
              I did a reinstall and it didn't work. oh mai gah unbolivable! I think I'm cursed when it comes to tech  :D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
              No, you have a component failure on the motherboard.
              This kind of failure is rather rare, but it does happen. 

One solution is to get a replacement motherboard.
              The workaround is to find some other hardware that will do the job you need.

What is your objective? Could some other hardware device do what your want to do?

Here is a possible alternative. Get a compatible PCI card for that PC that has its own USB ports. Most likely the new USB controller will work fine.

The one in the photo is sold by Dell  for about $25. 
              They call it a "2 Port USB 3.0 PCIe SFF Internal Card."
              Similar items are sold by Amazon and other major retail firms. In fact, you can get one at Walmart for under $15. Might be worth the effort to try it.

But I can not say for sure that will solve your problem.
              It would help if you would state exactly why you need the Bluetooth. Also, does lyour PC recognize other USB devices? You did not say.

It is possible you are in an environment where Bluetooth can not be used. Rare, but it happens. For example, some electronic gadgets destroy  any connectivity with wireless devices. You might have a electronic medical device that destroys all wireless in a range of 30 meters. Very, very rare. Hard to diagnose.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »
              I wouldn't assume that Geek...if other USB devices work it ain't that...he needs a new bluetooth adapter and give that 1 away to who's PC it works on...

PoLoBreak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 05:16:42 PM »
                I want to use bluetooth to connect my wireless gamepad and headphones to the PC, which is pretty important to me. My pc does recognize other usb, external hard drives and wireless mouse/keyboard transceivers. I don't have any out of ordinary electronic gadgets or any medical devices that should affect. I'm using it from home so the surrounding is pretty normal.. Are there any ways to diagnose the motherboard to see if the bluetooth component of it is faulty?

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
                No...if as you stated other USB devices work fine it ain;t the MBoard,,,as i stated get a new bluetooth adapter...spend a tad bit more on the new one...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 07:41:15 PM »
                Patio is right. You need to know for sure the adapter is not the issue. Beg or borrow another adapter. Even two of  'em.
                Doing an -in-depth analysis only software tools can be a waster of time. You haveto have hardware you know for sure will work.

The environment is important. This includes other hardware running on the PC. And it includes other software running on the PC. Some USB printers will install drivers that will prevent Windows from finding other USB devices. And some USB devices will erode performance of other USB devices on the same PC.You have to fully remove the offending device and it software, unless you have a hardware logic analyzer, a laboratory type of test equipment that costs more than the PC. 

Inother words, yu have to do  process of elimination, step-by-step.
                As Pateio said, the best answer may be a more robust Bluetooth device that has better design. Unfortunately there is no easy way to know which devices are better. One would think the higher price devices are better.

Do you have to use only Bluetooth? Other ways to make connection are, Wireless , USB and Ethernet. In general, Ethernet is more reliable by almost an order of magnitude and is practically immune to the interference issues of USB, Bluetooth and Wireless.  Can you connect your devices with Ethernet?

There is a long list of things that interfere with Bluetooth. Nevertheless, when Bluetooth works, it works very good.

Now then, you could consider this item:

Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV Bluetooth 4.2/Wireless AC/B/G/N

This is an expansion card with external antennas. Amazon says  1,169 customer gave reviews and  has 298 answered questions.
                This is for extreme cases of Bluetooth troubles.

PoLoBreak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 01:29:18 AM »
                  Welp, I FINALLY managed to fix it even the reinstall didn't work. So I downloaded some sort of driver updater tool and when I plugged the dongle and clicked on update driver in the program (I think? I can't remember exactly what I did) it finally recognized it as a generic bluetooth radio. I can't trace back to which program I used exactly but it's similar to these: https://www.lifewire.com/free-driver-updater-tools-2619206.