Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer displays nothing  (Read 2304 times)

Vysen

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer displays nothing
    « on: September 09, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
    Hello. My names Tyler and I'm here today because my computer won't display. Honestly, I don't even think it's booting. There is no beeps for me to check the beep codes, I've even checked to make sure everything is connected correctly inside and outside the computer.

It turns on but there is no beeping. The graphics card lights up, all the fans spin and then nothing. No beeps, no display, no other sound beyond the usual sounds of things starting up and spinning, aside from the lack of beeps.

It was all working fine last night. Was playing a game on my computer, got off, went to bed and woke up to nothing on the screen. The keyboard and mouse aren't even lighting up like they were last night. Please, if anyone could help me I'd be very grateful.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer displays nothing
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 11:51:51 AM »
    Sounds like power supply swap might fix this.

Because USB power should be present for keyboard/mouse and its now gone.

So I feel you lost a voltage rail possibly in the power supply causing it to fail to boot properly. If the motherboard has integrated video as an option you can try booting with video card removed and integrated video and see if it boots.

Vysen

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:22:33 PM »
      I don't know if I have an integrated graphics or not but I do know the motherboard model. It's an Asus rogue strip b250g gaming lga1151 ddr4 hdmi dvi m.2 micro-atx. Could someone let me know if it does have integrated graphics, please?

Is there a way I could test my power supply to see if that is the problem?

Edit - I just though about something. The light that shows the computer is turned on isn't lighting up. Could it be possible this is a problem with the motherboard? Everything directly connected to the power supply works but nothing connected to the motherboard that needs power is. The keyboard, mouse or case led lights.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 01:30:15 PM »
      Yes it has integrated video with HDMI and DVI-D connection available:
      Integrated Graphics Processor - Intel HD Graphics support
      Multi-VGA output support: HDMI/DVI-D ports
      - Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz
      - Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
      Maximum shared memory of 1024MB
      Supports Intel InTru 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider

Best way to test power supply would be to bring it to a shop for someone to test it for you or swap it with a known good power supply that is proper wattage to power the system.

Vysen

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 01:49:52 PM »
        Same problem with the integrated graphics as it was without it. At least that's one less thing that could be wrong. Guess I'll have to take my psu to a shop and have it tested, don't have another rig to test it with on hand sadly. Thanks for the help so far! I'll post an update when I can.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »
        Best of luck and were here to help if you need more assistance

Vysen

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »
          An update. I dunno what compelled me to plug my computer back up and try it this morning but it actually did something new and I want to see if it sheds light on my situation.

The computer turned on - front panel led lights coming on, the speaker beeping, and it stayed on this time. Even displays something. The thing that has me posting an update? The display is nothing but a black screen with a underscore-like line towards to top left corner. Dunno what this means but I'm hoping it helps somehow, even if only by showing what's wrong. Any ideas?

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 08:45:55 AM »
          That appears to be that it got past the BIOS POST and failed to load the OS.

This could still be the power supply.  Just enough power to get beyond post but not enough for the hard drive to properly function to pass information to system RAM to load OS properly.

Other thing to know is that when power supplies die they can damage things, so its best to get that power supply tested vs turning it on and off a bunch of times. Usually nothing bad happens, but if the power supply created an overvoltage condition then it can fry stuff. The biggest danger now is if the data on your hard drive gets corrupted as it starts to work and then bails out because not enough current or low voltage etc.