Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard drive WD1600BEVS/160GB unknown , not initialised and no space show  (Read 4542 times)

rasmy56

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    External Hard drive WD1600BEVS/160GB unknown, not initialised and no space showing in windows 10

How can i solve and safely get all the data?

Please kindly help, Tank you in advance

In devices & printer i troubleshoot 
    There are problems with some PnP devices. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot these devices.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    First off the health of the device should be checked... if you connect this to a different computer with a different OS such as Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 does this hard drive then work properly in one of those OS environments?

160GB is an older drive and I have seen before where the USB to IDE or SATA bridge controller in the external enclosure has a driver issue with an OS. Testing this on an earlier OS might fix the issue your having to be able to connect your older hard drive to that older system to copy the data to a newer external drive or USB stick(s) that has USB drivers to support Windows 10.

However if this drive was working fine with Windows 10 and then one day stopped working and the system didnt go through Windows 10 system updates, then the drive itself could be failing or the USB to hard drive bridge controller in the external case could have died at which you then would have to swap the hard drive over to a new healthy case or attach it internally to a desktop computer as a secondary drive, or get a drive dock that pairs up to SATA if its a SATA drive or IDE if an IDE drive.

If there is an option to format the drive do not click on accepting to format it. As well as if Windows wants to create anything on that drive run it by us first to prevent totally wiping out your data.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    as discussed in your current thread on the PC Help Forum, tell us where the drive has come from and what it was being used for.the 160GB capacity drives have not been sold for many years.the chances are excellent the drive has failed.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    New overstocked 160 GB drives are now at very low prices on eBay.
    Most vendors offer a one-year warranty for a small additional fee.

You can order one from New-egg if yu don't like eBay.

Western Digital 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM SATAII_

Nice price!  ;D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    unknown, not initialised and no space showing in windows 10

Your data is gone...sorry.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rasmy56

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

as discussed in your current thread on the PC Help Forum, tell us where the drive has come from and what it was being used for.the 160GB capacity drives have not been sold for many years.the chances are excellent the drive has failed.

I do not know more history, i know only it was used in windows just save documents videos and images   

rasmy56

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hello friends,
        So far i have come up with this status,

I have extract hard drive from case enclosure, and connect to power cable's second adaptor and connect CD ROM's SATA data cable and power on (i am not sure is correct or not its hard find here enclosure immediately.)   
        and first boot error "Hard drive error" see below link
        https://ibb.co/kxCipp
        https://ibb.co/bS14vU

Second i try to get boot menu and force boot from my internal hard drive under Legacy Boot Source
        widows power on but result is same for my external drive (unknown, not initialised & no Space) see the links below,
        https://ibb.co/bHkKUp
        https://ibb.co/cbJTN9

and see extracted external drive images has some damages too. links below,
        https://ibb.co/c2wyN9
        https://ibb.co/kXjPvU
        https://ibb.co/nL9UUp

so based on this scenario expert like you what can be conclude as my solution for data recovery/get drive work.

thank you very much for your times

Mark.

Adviser
        • Forum Regular
          • Yes
        whoa, those are not just "I've been dropped" marks, they are "I've been jammed between something" sort of scratches.
        but despite the cause, they are indicators the drive has suffered serious impact.
        and although the heads may be parked when the drive is not powered, it's still no precaution against high impact.
        I would almost 100% state that your only chance at recovering data from that unit is with a professional data recovery lab.

if you don't know the drive's history, how do you know what data is worth recovering?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        if you don't know the drive's history, how do you know what data is worth recovering?

I was wondering the same...

rasmy56

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

the person who own this device not yet shared what he want exactly from this disk, ask me to try out to get data,

now i want to approach and ask him what he need exactly from this, if he tell exactly what he want or may be a particular partition

so can i able to recover using any tool after initialised and create sample disk on my pc ? is this possible 

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          I would almost 100% state that your only chance at recovering data from that unit is with a professional data recovery lab.

Unless you are being paid for this task i wouldn't waste any time...

rasmy56

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Unless you are being paid for this task i wouldn't waste any time...

This is where everything ends )), if you know solid solution post here please, i will try my self 1st if i unable to do so will approach to you,
            otherwise how can i solved and close this thread.

i am trying myself to get knowledge, otherwise i have been put this task to any repairing shop.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            Sorry you took things the wrong way but our advice is solid...a physically damaged drive has little chance of data recovery as opposed to one that is not...

Doesn't matter what apps we could suggest to try...it is what it is.

Mark.

Adviser
            • Forum Regular
              • Yes
            the only thing even remotely worth a try would be an excellent data recovery program called Recuva (by Piriform).
            but no program is going to read a physically damaged drive - and your drive is VERY physically damaged.

all recovery software that I've used relies on the drive having a drive letter assigned to it by the system.
            so first up you would need to initialise AND format that drive.  both of those processes would be SEVERELY hindered due to the damage (which is how it lost them in the first place).
            and the mere fact that you are accessing the drive will further impact data recovery chances.

then, let's say all the rainbow coloured unicorns formed up in a perfect row, you are then up for hours and hours of time with Recuva going through the sectors looking for files.
            and it won't find fileA and fileB - these sort of programs find fragments of files and have no way of knowing how to 'stitch' them back together, so forget pictures, music and video files, they'll all be 'corrupted'.
            so even if you could get the PC to detect the drive, assign a drive letter, and run recovery software, you will after all that - at best - have a bunch of corrupted files you can't use.
            and a paid-for professional recovery mob will charge 100's of dollars - so is the data worth that?

this is a classic sordid tale of a situation totally avoidable by having a backup regime in place - but that doesn't help you know.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            For what it is worth.
            Prevention is better that a cure.
            In the Personal Computer world that means backup and testing on a regular schedule. Otherwise, recovery from a major failure is very hard.