Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it possible to lower RAM usage  (Read 3999 times)

Silver347

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Is it possible to lower RAM usage
    « on: September 11, 2018, 10:22:48 AM »
    Hi,I'm Gary and I always wanted to ask a simple but to me a very interesting question and that is...Is there a way for Windows to use even less RAM or to optimise (optimize I dunno how you spell it) it even further except disabling the features,is there maybe an option or...command for that.

It's like I'm experiencing any high RAM usage but I was just asking since I did saw a guy screenshot of someone's pc in a comment showing of his RAM usage on Windows 8 and It was about 350-450mb of RAM in it so...is there any way to lower the RAM usage except disabling too many Windows features.

Thats just my curiousity but thanks anyways.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Is it possible to lower RAM usage
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »
    I guess my 1st question would be why do you need to lower RAM usage ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »
    Attempting to maximize the amount of Free/unused Memory no longer makes sense because Modern Operating Systems make use of unused memory to improve performance in other areas by utilizing it as a cache.

Despite this there is still this obsession with maximizing how much of your memory sits idle and useless. "Gamers" in particular are often liable to buy gobs of RAM and then spend hours trying to use as little of it as possible. It's like buying a King size bed and then making deliberate efforts to never use more than the area of a twin, just so you can look at the bare parts of it and go "Look how much free bed I have, my sleeping experience is truly optimized!"
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:40:06 PM »
    Love this analogy!  ;D  8)

"Gamers" in particular are often liable to buy gobs of RAM and then spend hours trying to use as little of it as possible. It's like buying a King size bed and then making deliberate efforts to never use more than the area of a twin, just so you can look at the bare parts of it and go "Look how much free bed I have, my sleeping experience is truly optimized!"

Unless something has a memory leak and is grabbing it all up or your working with an old computer where you need your base memory to be larger than a certain value, optimization of memory is pretty much useless these days just like BC stated.

Only memory optimization I can think of that makes sense would be a programmer or developer where a group of programmers are trying to make something run faster, so that on each computer its distributed to will run it as efficient as possible.

Also years ago memory optimization had a better payoff for the effort spent in doing it. These days computers are so fast that the gain is pretty much only seen in a benchmark result, but that to the end user it seems to perform the same.

Additionally if you have lots of paging going on where hard drive is being used as virtual memory because you only have say 4GB RAM and the system would run far better on 8GB or more, then it makes more sense to just go with a RAM upgrade for more memory if your system can take on additional memory. If your system is one that is maxed out on memory supported and your trying to reduce the memory use, then its pretty much time to buy a newer computer which can go beyond the 4GB memory mark and run better. Also a performance gain could be had this way as well in possibly a better CPU and GPU and maybe SSD instead of HDD.  :)

*Btw used the 4GB memory example because I have recent seen some people with computers from around 2009 that can only handle 4GB RAM and all the RAM gets used up with Windows 10 and they have lots of paging going on. They bought new computers with 8GB RAM and problems solved.