Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dynamic Disk  (Read 2091 times)

plantagenet

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Dynamic Disk
    « on: September 14, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
    Can a dynamic disk prevent software installing properly?

I have a laptop and a Desktop PC both with W10. The software installed perfectly on the laptop but dropped out on the PC right before it would have displayed the Installation Complete box.

The software is downloaded from the provider's website. I have tried disabling the AV (McAfee) but it makes no difference. It has also installed successfully on a notebook running W8.1.

The only difference in the configuration is that the Desktop System drive is on a Dynamic disk whereas it is on a Basic disk on the laptop.

I'd prefer not to have to go back to a clean implementation of Windows. I have looked at software that will convert a dynamic disk to basic but the feedback does inspire much confidence.

Thanks for any help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dynamic Disk
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »
    From a Google search:
    Converting basic disks to dynamic disks can help achieve improved performance in your Windows OS. However, there are compatibility restrictions you should be aware of before diving into this conversion process.
    https://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/When-not-to-convert-basic-disks-to-dynamic-disks
    The link requires registration.
    In brief, he  makes these points:
    1. Can not downgrade the OS
    2. Do not use with multi-boot
    3. Not for removable storage.
    4. Possible legacy software issues.
    The last point is not covered other than to state there is an issue with the FAT. If yu have a utility program that wants to modify the FAT, it will fail.
    That is the limit of what I have found.

plantagenet

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Dynamic Disk
      « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:19:01 AM »
      Thanks for your reply. The last point does suggest that it might be the problem. Looks like a clean start is on the cards. :-(