Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is new with economy printers?  (Read 2708 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
What is new with economy printers?
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:57:23 PM »
Has printer technology and marketing slowed down? Or am I just ignorant of what is forthcoming? Just now I did a Google search for:
printer with free ink
An Google shot back:
People also ask:
What is a cartridge free printer?
Which printer uses no ink?
Do printers come with ink?
What Printers Can you refill ink?

Huh? How can a printer not use  ink?
Does anybody here understand my confusion?
I need to buy a new printer ...
 - but this time I do want to waste my money on a thing that will run out of ink in two weeks 10 days.
Anybody?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: What is new with economy printers?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:18:04 PM »
Does anybody here understand my confusion?

Not at all...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »
I went with a mono laser printer about 8 years ago and you couldn't pay me to go back to an inkjet.  Laser printers have a higher initial cost but they are cheaper in the long run because they have a lower cost per printed page.  In the 8 years I've owned this printer, I've only needed to replace the toner cartridge once.  Of course, that depends on how many pages you print.

I just checked on-line and see an HP - LaserJet Pro M15w printer for $80.  I've never used that particular one so can't comment on it but the price seems right for someone wanting to get into laser printing without spending a lot.

BTW, technically, thermal printers don't use ink or cartridges.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
Huh? How can a printer not use  ink?

Mine doesn't use any ink. Neither did the one before.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
Only inkless printer would be thermal printing on thermal paper I would think. But only point of sale systems really use thermal paper and thermal head printers that I know of.

I bought 2 low cost laser printers 3 years ago and when the cost of toner for them tripled I then tossed them away for a new Brother HL-L2300D monochrome laser printer because toner is more realistically priced.

I moved away from inkjet printers years ago and actually miss my Epson LQ-1050+ dot matrix printer for cost of printed pages being the cheapest with $10 ribbons that would last about 1000 pages printed each as well as with a little WD-40 you could get another 100-200 pages printed when ribbon was dry and able to be wet again and squeeze out another 100-200 pages before too faded to see or ribbon got a hole worn through it from the matrix needles hammering through it.

I personally wish that they would make a printer that you could just put a Bic pen in it and it print everything out at the cost of pens. There is a Lego Printer project someone made that is able to print that way similar to a dot matrix where it sweeps across the page adding ink where needed and in the end forms a printed page. Although it would be single color in everything printed.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:53:01 PM »
Some of the newer Inkjet printers don't use cartridges, but instead use Tanks, which you refill directly.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:57:16 PM »
Thanks all.
Maybe I will get a new black only simple laser printer. Some model snow are well below $100 and the toner is within a reasonable cost.
This one looks promising:
https://www.amazon.com/
Look for:
Brother Monochrome HL-L2350DW
But I do not understand how you replace the ink.

Epson makes a nice tank inkjet. They claim 4500 pages plus per tank set.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 12:46:42 AM »
In a laser printer you usually lift a flap, pull out the old cartridge and push in the new one. A new cartridge will have a sealing tab you have to remove. It is very simple, and there will be an instruction sheet in the box.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 09:38:46 AM »
Seen some people forget to remove the seal tab and try to force the toner cartridge into the laser printers... as with everything if it dont fit in easily inspect for why and dont force it.  ::)

There are some cheap laser printers that are just a toner drum that is replaced. The transfer drum and all that remains and is used until it wears or gets damaged with scratches etc. Basically they made it low cost by making a tube drum that can be removed off the the cartridge itself, so the rest of the components that make up the cartridge that would in most other printers be replaced each time is instead reused. So your basically just replacing the toner compartment of the cartridge and the rest of it is reused until failure. Only issue with this type of printer where its a toner drum is that if you think your toner is out and its not, you could have a mess on your hands if you unlock it and remove it and it still has toner in it and the door on the drum doesnt close all the way. We had a woman in the office the one day very upset when she got covered in toner from one of these cheap Oki laser printers. Upgraded to a HP business class printer which had a toner cartridge that was much harder to color yourself in toner with.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 10:00:17 AM »
I believe it is dangerous to use a regular vacuum cleaner to deal with a toner spillage because it can cause a fire two ways: (a) toner conducts electricity and can get in the motor and cause a short, and (b) toner has electrostatic properties by design and a fast moving stream can build up enough of a charge to cause an explosion or fire inside the vacuum cleaner. If it doesn't cause a fire it will very efficiently clog all the pores of a bag. Also if it gets on clothes and skin, get it off with cold water. Hot water will make it bond. It will wear off skin, but what bonds to clothes is there permanently.